Heisman trophy requirements need to be changed

Blake Corum had an outstanding 2022 season. Corum finished 7th in Heisman voting. Courtesy of Maize & Blue Nation, Wikipedia Commons

Every year, a new college athlete shines in the spotlight. During colleges’ months of in-season games, players look to excel past their competition in hopes of earning the biggest award in college football: The Heisman Trophy Award.

However, college football is in desperate need of change for the criteria that makes up the Heisman.

Since 2000, 19 of the awards have been awarded to Quarterbacks, leaving only 4 non-quarterbacks to have earned the trophy. 

On Dec. 10, the 2022 Heisman Award Ceremony was held in New York. Of the entire college football player pool, only four players were selected in hopes of hearing their name announced as the winner. This year’s finalists all carried a similar trendthey were all quarterbacks: Stetson Bennet from The University of Georgia, C.J. Stroud from Ohio State, Max Duggan from TCU and the eventual winner, Caleb Williams from USC.

As a result of these voting outcomes, players in the non-quarterback position have been ‘snubbed’ of consideration for the trophy.

This past 2022 season, Michigan running back Blake Corum had one of the best seasons for a running back in the modern era of football. Even battling injuries, Corum led Michigan to a 13 win season, with 1,463 yards and 18 touchdowns, clinching a berth in the College Football Playoff. Corum was named a unanimous All-American in 2022, a very high honor in college football. 

Despite this astounding season, Corum was not considered as a Heisman finalist. When the finalists came out, college football fans voiced their frustration on behalf of Corum. The Field of 12 media network tweeted, “Blake Corum absolutely deserved to be in New York for the Heisman presentation.” Another fan tweeted, “[Corum] should have at least been considered for the Heisman Trophy.”

Despite his seventh place finish for The Heisman, Corum was the first non quarterback in terms of votes.

Corum is not the first of his kind to be snubbed of recognition for the award. Mitchell Wood, a PV alum, is an avid college football fan and acknowledges the award’s flaw. “Despite the trophy’s unique honor that it goes to the best college player regardless of position…has proven to be exclusively reserved for quarterback/offensive positions,” Wood stated. 

Wood also notes that “Throughout its near decade-long decorated run, only one defensive player has been given the award.” So what is the big deal? Defensive players have to work much harder and outshine in their position much more than offense players, especially quarterbacks. 

In the 2021 season, Michigan defensive end Aidan Hutchinson felt this bias as he had an extraordinary season, yet the trophy was given to Alabama quarterback Bryce Young. 

While the criteria for winning the Heisman Trophy Award  stays the same, non-quarterbacks will keep trying to earn a rigged award. It must be changed to properly consider all players at all positions, and until then it will be a steeper climb in order to shine.