Top 7 Best New Year’s Resolutions

Lydia Sommer
Senior Claire Saklar writes in her gratitude journal to reflect on what she is grateful for going into 2023.

With the new year already in hand, create some smart goals for the 2023 year. While many individuals focus on the typical things, like working out, getting thinner or eating healthier, those goals may not benefit you in the long run, as they are hard to commit yourself to them. Here is a list of the best New Year’s resolutions for the year.

Start a Gratitude Journal 

Often, people take their life and the things in them for granted. Whether it is a roof over your head, family or even a new phone, it’s good to reflect on the blessings in your life. Starting a gratitude journal is a great way to reflect on your life. The process is simple; write down a few things every day you feel gratitude toward. The most important part of the journal is to commit yourself every day, that way you can see the progress you’ve made over the year. 

You can purchase a gratitude journal nearly anywhere. Online, there are multiple versions on Amazon, Target or Walmart.

Be More Optimistic

Optimism is an important factor to create a healthy and happy lifestyle, but it’s something that many people lack. In a world full of struggles and negativity, it’s hard to stay positive. However, it’s an improvement that is vital. To become optimistic, you can create positive mantras that guide you to happiness. Also, find success and lessons in your failures, rather than focusing on only the negative outcome.

Lower Your Screen Time

It’s hard to pull yourself away from your phone, but in doing so, you have many new opportunities to do something you enjoy. Eyes glued to a screen for countless hours a day is not only unproductive, but it’s also unhealthy. To avoid this, set screen times on some of your apps, and learn to live in the present rather than obsessing over online statuses.

Exercise to Feel Good, Not Look Better

A typical New Year’s resolution may be to work out more to get into better shape. The purpose of that goal is to change an appearance, rather than focus on the benefits of exercise. Working out is a great way to stay healthy and live longer. It not only thins you down but has even more mental benefits. After consistently exercising, you will feel more productive, motivated, happy and energized. If you struggle with mental health, going for a short walk, run or anything else helps clear your mind, helping you find clarity and giving you a break from intrusive thoughts.

Pick up a New Hobby

Finding a new hobby or sparking your love for an old one allows you to explore your favorite activities. In pursuing a new passion, you may also learn more about yourself, like where your beliefs or passion lay. A few common hobbies people enjoy are drawing and painting, knitting, baking or playing an instrument. A hobby is a great way to stay productive, as well as give you time to relax. It may also push you to do better in your academic, athletic or professional life.

Open Your Mind to New Ideas

It’s hard to be open-minded when faced with judgment and criticism every day. However, changing your attitude and beliefs is a step toward finding new knowledge and wisdom. While you don’t need to completely alter your point of view, bringing in new ideas creates a space where you can experience personal growth. You will get along better with others and have new experiences, among other benefits. 

Compliment Yourself Once a Day

It is not uncommon to feel embarrassed, ashamed or self-conscious about your body, mind or personality. Thus, it is important to ensure that you feel confident in yourself as much as possible. People often compliment others, but never themselves. This year, think of something you love about yourself every day and watch as your mood and confidence change. These compliments don’t need to be just about appearance though, tell yourself that you are confident and calm, or will get a future job, even if you don’t have it yet.