New principal Michael Hawley hired at PV

Cole Halupnik
New principal Mike Hawley is excited to be a part of the Pleasant Valley School District

Pleasant Valley has hired a new high school principal this year: Michael Hawley. Students are eager to know more about the new principal and what the future holds for PV. 

Hawley grew up in Iowa and went to Cedar Falls High School, where he played football, basketball, tennis and soccer. His parents taught Spanish at the University of Northern Iowa, which is also where Hawley attended college. 

Hawley’s love of travel stemmed from his parents, who often took him on trips as a kid. When he’s not traveling, Hawley uses his free time to bike, ride his motorcycle, and watch sports. He enjoys both road biking and mountain biking in the Quad Cities, as there are many places to do both throughout the area. 

Before moving to the Quad Cities, Hawley taught at Waterloo West. He also worked at Rock Island School District, where he taught for 22 years and worked in an administrative position for 4 years. He was also a principal at Glenview Middle School and Cedar Rapids Jefferson before moving to Pleasant Valley. 

Hawley already has experience at Pleasant Valley High School, as he was a soccer coach while he taught at other Quad City schools. Hawley has fond memories of his former coaching position, and he remembers many of his athletes whose pictures remain in the all-state hallway. “I coached here back in the day, so I walk by and see all the kids that I coached who were all-staters,” Hawley stated.

Hawley looks forward to working more at PV, and is impressed by the atmosphere of the school. “I’m surprised by how quiet it is…I see more kids doing homework than anywhere else which is kind of cool,” said Hawley. 

While there are many great things about PV, Hawley knows that things could always be made better. Every school runs differently, and Hawley wants to be flexible and open to suggestions as principal. “I will watch, I will see, and I will listen,” he conveyed.  

Hawley wants to get to know more students at PV, and looks forward to hearing new ideas. Students are already excited about the new principal and have recommendations for what PV could do differently. “I think we could have a lot more school spirit at PV. Get more people to come to the games and be enthusiastic about our team,” said senior Ethan Cline.

Students and teachers look forward to the new perspective that Hawley could bring to Pleasant Valley. 

$580
$1000