Boom of trades in new generation of workers

Alex Blunk
The Pleasant Valley High School machine and welding room used to instruct and teach about trades.

As seniors across the nation look towards their futures, they have important decisions to make.

The search to find the perfect fit for a future career is a stressful process that can take a lot of time and money. Since students are still young, it can be challenging for them to make these choices that can impact their futures.

Many students look towards a college degree as their post-high school plans. Traditionally, people view further education at a university as the best option post-graduation. Going to college can open up opportunities and new life experiences. However, there are far more options for students than in the past, many of which are based on experiences and interests facilitated towards students, through different schools they can end up choosing different options.

In recent years, opportunities for trade schools and apprenticeships have become increasingly popular, giving many people an alternate path after high school. Currently, there is a surge in need for trade jobs, such as welders, electricians, carpenters and many more. This means many employers are looking and willing to hire and train students out of high school.

The opportunity to work while in school is valuable to many students who choose to pursue a career in trades. To come out of school debt free and with more assurance in job stability, trade jobs seem like a clear option to many students. “You know with trades you aren’t gonna be faced with any student debt … you are able to learn on the job and get paid to learn and are able to make a good living through those different jobs,” said Cody Harkey, a senior at North Scott high school.

Other students are also concerned about the time that it takes to finish their higher education, delaying when they will be able to join the workforce. While universities can prepare students for their futures, they also take a significant amount of time and money for the average student to complete. “Trade schools are a lot cheaper and only take two years to complete instead of four years like a university which would be much more expensive and less valuable for me,” said senior Ethan Crowley.

Students are able to better understand the specific trade that they want to pursue through their education and training. There are a wide variety of locations where students can attend school to further their education on a particular trade. “I would like to attend Kirkwood community college to receive a certificate in welding … I have taken classes over welding through Pleasant Valley and enjoyed them very much and can see a job in welding for my future,” said Crowley.

For many students looking for an alternative to a college education where they can still pursue a career they are interested in, they turn to community colleges and apprenticeship programs are efficient options to get ahead in their respective fields of work.A career in trades is a way for students to save more time and money while still being able to create a good life for themselves.