Pleasant Valley Boys Golf dominates its competition

Jake Perkins
“Max Musalski, Jake Perkins, Owen Wright and John Docherty at the Bettendorf Invite at Palmer Hills Golf Course.”

With a talent-packed roster, the Pleasant Valley Boys Golf team has left its mark on the course this fall. As they near the end of their season, the chances of winning state for the first time appear to be promising.

Across 15 meets, the team has earned 120 wins and only 7 losses. In nearly every meet, they have dominated their competition and appear to be much stronger than last year. After the MAC, the team will have two more meets before competing at state.

Senior Owen Wright, a varsity golfer on the PV boys golf team, gives credit for the team’s performance to head coach Mike Nedelcoff. “I would say that Nedelcoff is the best coach in the state. He’s done a great job at teaching us the mental side of golf, specifically how to become stronger mentally, which is really helpful out on the course,” said Wright.

Wright believes that Nedelcoff’s coaching combined with a talent-packed roster will create an opportunity to win state.

“I have pretty high hopes for state golf. It’ll be tough to get it done, but we know we’re good enough to do it. We just have to stay calm and play our game, and we should have a pretty good chance of winning this year,” said Wright.

This season, the boys team is so good that players cut in the tryouts could be strong players for opposing schools. Senior Spencer Roemer was cut during tryouts after shooting an 87, missing the cutoff of 83.5. If he had tried out with the same score last year, he would’ve made the team.

Roemer believes that he would have a solid position on other golf teams in the MAC. “Compared to most teams in the MAC, I’d definitely be high on the JV teams and most likely on the majority of varsity teams. I’ve been told by golf players on the Assumption varsity team that I would be top three for them. I still golf with the varsity PV golfers and they all agree I’d be varsity on almost every team in the MAC,” said Roemer.

The amount of talent let go during tryouts highlights the potential of the golf team this year. As the Pleasant Valley Boys Golf team advances through its season, the boys are poised for a shot at their first ever state championship victory.

$580
$1000