Pleasant Valley students start 23’-24’ hockey season with Quad City Blues

Bridget Blunk
“Quad City Blues celebrate a goal against the Lincoln Jr Stars at the River’s Edge.”

Hockey is a very popular sport across the world, but there are not as many opportunities for people to pursue an interest in the sport.

Although Pleasant Valley offers almost every major sport in the United States, ice hockey is one that is not offered. Students who are interested in playing have to take their passion elsewhere, typically to clubs or recreational teams.

Youth players in the area have to resort to the Quad City Hockey Association which is located at the River’s Edge in downtown Davenport. This is the home of the Blues and where hockey players in the area come together.

The teams are composed of students from all around the Quad Cities, including schools such as Rock Island, Moline, Bettendorf, Geneseo, Pleasant Valley and more. The QCHA is a place where students are able to come together and compete with other hockey teams in the Midwest.

Higher-level players can try out for the Blues, the top high school team in the organization. As of now, the Blues are coming out of summer training and looking towards the preseason in October.

The 2023-2024 Blues team has over 10 players from Pleasant Valley and many more on Ice Eagle youth teams. The association is an excellent way for students who are passionate about hockey to have an opportunity to play. 

“Winning the championship in the Northern Illinois Hockey League is one of my favorite memories as I was able to play with all of my friends and have my family watch,“ said Sam Blunk, a freshman on the Blues.

In the upcoming season, the Blues players and coaches hope the team can secure a state championship and seniors are ready to finish the last season of their high school career victorious. “I’ve played hockey all my life in both Iowa and Wisconsin, it has given me some of the best friendships and taught me lessons that I will carry with me for life,” said Liam Quinn, a senior on the Blues.

While Pleasant Valley teams are supported by both the school and the students, club teams, like the Ice Eagles and the Blues, are supported mainly by players and families. This can leave a burden on the team and families within it. All finances to run the club, including countless hours of work, are put in by the families whose kids are on the team. This burden can be reduced with funding from outside sources.

Even though hockey players around the area are not affiliated with a school, their passion and drive for the game helps create new opportunities for themselves. “Micheal Jordan once said, never say never, because limits, just like fears, are often just an illusion. That’s the attitude we have towards this season, and we are just trying to get one percent better everyday,” said Max Patten, a junior player on the Blues.

As the season nears, players on the team can feel the excitement and comradery. Hockey is one of the only major sports in the U.S. that isn’t affiliated with high schools, but those who are involved with the sport are thankful for the opportunities it has given them.