National 4-H week shows importance of continuing legacy

The LeClaire Boosters 4 H club donates handmade blankets to the blanket drive at Pleasant Valley High School. Photo credit to: Shelly Paustian
4 H clubs across the country are celebrating National 4-H Week, this week.
(Cassi Paustian)

More than 6 million youth will celebrate National 4-H Week this week. 

The 78th National 4-H Week, Oct. 2-8, 2023, will celebrate the impacts of 4-H across the United States in clubs and communities.  4-H is a national youth development program promoting leadership, community service, healthy behaviors and STEM. 

National 4-H Week was established soon after World War II. Following the events of Pearl Harbor, it was unanimously decided to postpone the National 4-H Convention in Washington, D.C. until all the cessation of hostilities. This officially started National 4-H Mobilization Week in 1942, which transitioned to National 4-H Week in 1945. 

The 4 H’s in 4-H stand for head, heart, hands and health. Each positively promotes good relationships with one’s mind, friends, family, community and life. These are also the organization’s main focuses as schools and communities around the world adopt the program for their youth. 

The main goal of 4-H is to create a positive impact in the community and for future leaders . Youth build life skills by participating and leading activities in agriculture, health and civil engagement. These projects increase the confidence of youth while teaching them to endure through challenges and work efficiently and effectively with peers. 

4-H is the nation’s largest development program for kids 9 through 18. In the United States alone, 4-H programs are prominent, as six million people through 109 land-grant universities and Cooperative Extension and across 3,000 counties. Outside the United States, independent, country-led 4-H organizations empower one million young people in more than 50 countries.

Offering hands-on experiences, 4-H teaches the positive side of getting out of one’s comfort zone. “Any time you get out of your comfort zone you grow more. It puts kids in situations to try new things, and gives them a place where they can feel safe doing those new things,” LeClaire Boosters Club leader, Shelli Paustian said. 

Research has proven time and time again the benefits of 4-H in youth’s lives. 

“It impacts my life for the better because I get to have a group of people to help me whenever I need,” Hailey Wipperfurth, former PV and current North Scott student, said. “I will take the skills I learned and use them in my future jobs and experiences.”

When compared to their peers, young people in 4-H are nearly four times more likely to contribute to their communities, two times more likely to pursue healthy behaviors and two times more likely to engage in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) programs during out-of-school times.

Despite these benefits, 4-H participation has been dropping at an alarming rate. Many clubs across the country are finding as their members get older, the less they are able to attend and the harder it is to participate. National 4-H week helps recruit kids every year to keep the development program thriving. It is important as a club to keep expanding and finding new engaging opportunities for kids to participate in.

National 4-H week continues to hold the legacy from many former alum and their accomplishments, along with promoting the excellent program for youth. Participants find themselves more advanced in social and life skills. For anyone interested in joining and finding a new home in your community and creating a positive impact, there are many 4-H clubs throughout the country. Click here to find the the nearest club!