The war in Ukraine reaches month 19

Drake Hanson
PV student Trenten Walden wears a Ukraine flag sticker on his helmet to show support for Ukraine in their war with Russia.

The war in Ukraine has gone on for close to 19 months now. It has been an international topic of conversation for just as long, as people argue on the issues that surround this hot topic, such as foreign involvement and methods of warfare.

War in Ukraine shows no sign of stopping

by Kyle Almgren

The War in Ukraine began on Feb. 24, 2022 after Russia launched a full scale invasion into eastern Ukraine. After a year and a half, along with tens of billions of dollars and hundreds of thousands of casualties, the war is showing no signs of slowing down.

On Sept. 20, Ukrainian President Volodymir Zelensky spoke in front of the United Nations Security Council, requesting the help of other UN countries. “The aggressor is weaponizing many other things and those things are used not only against our country but against all of yours as well,” Zelensky stated. Zelensky requested the help of other members of the UN in a moving speech before the security council, but the council may not be able to accomplish as much as Zelensky hopes they can. 

Responsible for ensuring international peace and security, the UN security council is composed of 15 elected members of the United Nations general assembly. Twice per year, the council holds a meeting to discuss international issues, including the war in Ukraine. However, Zelensky’s address held little merit on the decision of the council due to one main issue: veto power.

The UN security council was created in 1946 after WWII to prevent further international security issues which could potentially arise in the future. The council originated with the five countries most responsible for the Allies victory during the war: United States, United Kingdom, France, China and USSR (now Russia). 

As the most influential countries in the world at the time, these five countries became permanent members of the council. Zelensky’s address to the council accomplished very little in creating action, because the five permanent members hold veto power on decisions made by the council. Therefore, any sanctions or military orders the council could make hold the potential to be vetoed by Russia, which would make the efforts of the council become useless.

With the UN security council unable to create sanctions or military orders as normal, helping Ukraine is a responsibility of individual countries. The United States and other European countries have assisted in the war through financial aid for humanitarian problems, economic issues and military. Ukraine has amassed a total of more than $113 billion in aid since the start of the war.

The United States alone has given over $75 billion. However, this level of involvement in the war has been a hot topic in this country, as it is American tax dollars being put towards international efforts that some believe are better spent on national issues.

“I think they [United States] should stay out of the Ukraine war,” said senior Jackson Peer. “There are issues in the United States that are more worth our time and money. Dumping billions of dollars into Ukraine with no returns seems pretty worthless to me.” 

Senior David Gorsline feels differently about US involvement. “The US and NATO should both help in the war to prevent any more international issues,” Gorsline shared. “We don’t need any more issues coming from this war.” 

Even though the war is persisting in Europe, NATO has been hesitant of getting involved in the war, as it might turn the war into an international issue with the potential to escalate into a World War.

Even after surpassing 19 months of warfare, the Russia-Ukraine conflict does not indicate signs of slowing down, but rather a deadlock of constant fighting. Until the UN security council is able to overcome Russia’s veto power, the war will continue at a stalemate and diminish the resources of all countries involved.

Newly donated US technology has effects on the Ukraine war

by Luke Eckman

Multiple new United States Abrams tanks arrived in Ukraine to support war efforts against Russia on Sept. 26, 2023. However, the effect these tanks will have on the war is uncertain.

When the war in Ukraine began, many people believed that Russian forces would overpower Ukrainian forces in a matter of weeks. Russia is significantly larger than Ukraine in terms of population, land mass, and GDP. Despite these facts, Ukraine has managed to slow Russia and halt the invasion.

Since the Russian advance has been stopped, little progress has been made by either side. Ukraine hopes to reclaim all of their land, including the Russian annexed Crimean Peninsula, but Russia is not backing down.

The United States M1 Abrams tank could change the course of the Ukraine war. Photo credit to: Canva

While Ukrainian President Volodymir Zelensky has repeatedly called for aid from many NATO countries to help bring momentum to Ukrainians, many of them have been reluctant to help. However, on Sept. 26 the first batch of US Abrams tanks arrived in Ukraine.

The goal of these tanks is to help Ukraine advance their frontlines, reclaiming old ground at a faster rate. Currently, the war in Ukraine resembles World War I in terms of its speed and fighting style. Troops are dug into trenches and fight the enemy at very close ranges. Oftentimes the frontlines can remain static for days or weeks at a time.

This kind of warfare costs Ukraine many lives without much gain. Because of this, many people think that the US decision to donate tanks was justified since it could theoretically bring the war to an end sooner.

“I think that America donating tanks to Ukraine is good because we are allies with Ukraine and they need more help to repel Russia,” said Ainsley Hindman.

Still, many people are skeptical of the importance of these tanks to the war. With each tank costing over $10 million, it is imperative that they actually make a difference in the war for their donation to be worthwhile.

“If anyone sat down and thought about it they would realize it’s like we are feeding a circus, we shouldn’t donate any more to Ukraine,” said Suleman Chaudhry.

Even though the United States’ Abrams tank is one of the most effective war machines on the planet, it is still uncertain whether they will help bring the war in Ukraine to an end.

$580
$1000