Youth leagues across the country facing shortage of referees

Football Referees make a touchdown call at a home football game. The amount of officiating crews has decreased greatly over the last couple years. Photo credit to Spartan Shield staff

Many adults may say this problem is not that big of a deal, but in reality, the kids are being deeply affected. 

Since the pandemic, there are nearly 50,000 fewer referees across all sports at the high school level. The sports taking the greatest hits are baseball and softball. Football, volleyball, wrestling and basketball have also seen great decreases in crews willing to officiate.

Referees were hopeful during the pandemic that the break from sports would allow the trash-talk from parents and fans to decrease, but unfortunately it got worse. Fans and coaches have to understand referees are people and make mistakes, the game can not be called perfect.

This abusive behavior towards the nation’s officiating crews has increased greatly. Refs that are slandered and taunted don’t want to do their job. 

Just as other works across the nation feel the same. Diminishing rates of bartenders, customer service workers and waiters due to low pay and poor treatment. Poor treatment by people also drastically affects the nations’ youth sports. “All over society people are just not getting into certain jobs. Fresh out of college or fresh out of high school you do not see people just going to ref,” Head Wrestling coach Jake Larsen said.

Even in more privileged areas, officiating crews are decreasing. The higher pay is not enough of an incentive for referees to come there. This has caused youth and high school sports to cancel games or work with a smaller crew. Coaches have even been asked to officiate when refs do not show up. 

Something needs to change.

Schools may start by paying officials more money. The more money made, the more willingness to come out and do a good job.

Organizations also could support the officials better. Over 70 percent of officiants leave the profession for good during their first three years. This stat could change starting with how they are greeted and treated when they arrive and what perks the school offers them, so they don’t have to worry about spending their money on water or food. 

“Pleasant Valley has not had as many challenges compared to other schools. We offer a good place for crews to come. Officiators can turn down certain places if they get treated badly by the crowd,” said Pleasant Valley Athletic Director, D’Anne Kremer. 

Safety is also common, over half of the respondents on the National Association of Sports Officials (NASO) say they have felt threatened by a player, coach, athletic director or fan. If they want to be respected, they can not be afraid of kicking people out for unsportsmanlike behavior or taunting. Referees also find themselves being assaulted or harassed. Having stricter state laws makes it a more appealing job for people to apply for. 

Ultimately, without more incentives for referees, the stats are not going to change. Although, “Coach Stecklien [Pleasant Valley’s head Baseball Coach] encourages his former baseball players to become officials. A couple years ago, seniors Ryan Groenenboom and Carson Knebel got their umpires license. When we had shortages at the freshman level, they filled in, and this past summer officiated every freshman game together. This exposure is allowing them to get more jobs from different schools,” Kremer said. 

With new interest and profound love for the sport, the nation’s current and former athletes can change the game for the future. Changing how fans react to officials can ultimately help the shortage diminish.