Addi Allaman serves her way onto the varsity squad

Pleasant Valley freshman volleyball player, Addi Allaman, prepares to serve against Bettendorf on Sept. 9. Photo Credit to: Spartan Shield staff

The Pleasant Valley Volleyball program has been very successful in past years, winning the championship in 2021 and getting second in 2022. The team lost 10 of its 11 upperclassmen last season and is now relying on young talent to continue the success story. 

Freshman varsity volleyball player Addi Allaman has answered the call. Allaman is the first off the bench for the Spartans, but she doesn’t let that stop her from putting up some amazing stats. Allaman has the most serve attempts, serve successes and highest serve efficiency on the team; a feat that few have ever completed. 

Allaman’s passion for volleyball began with playing in small beach volleyball leagues when she was 6 years old. Since then, she has played competitively for three travel teams: Platform Elite, Iowa Select and the Iowa Rockets. 

Allaman has seen much success on these teams. During her time on the Iowa Select, she qualified for the national tournament once, and on the Iowa Rockets she did so twice. This past year, Allaman and the Rockets came 9th in the National division. 

“During my volleyball career I have had many amazing experiences that I will remember forever…[Nationals] was truly an amazing moment that made me so thankful for the sport,” said Allaman. 

Her individual talent has helped out the young PV team this year. “Her serve is very good and consistent. So that is a huge advantage, and then her ability to anticipate the ball on defense, she’s moved into more of a defensive specialist position in the back row and does a great job,” said Pleasant Valley head coach, Amber Hall. 

Allaman’s tangible talent contributes greatly to the team, but so does her attitude and commitment to the sport. “Whenever she is in, her communication and positive energy and spirit that she has just gets into everybody else and helps bring everybody else up. Even if we’re not doing, maybe the best. She’s always that voice of positivity and belief,” said Hall. 

Despite finding lots of success her freshman year, Allaman doesn’t intend to play volleyball at the next level. “I do not plan on playing volleyball in college. Although the sport has been my passion since I was about 6 years old, I would like to focus on academics and a future job in college,” said Allaman. 

The Pleasant Valley Volleyball program has a long history at the Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union (IGHSAU) state volleyball tournament. With the graduation of 10 seniors last year, the PV community can only hope that underclassmen like Allaman can fill the shoes left behind.

$580
$1000