Tragic ice hockey incident raises awareness for ice hockey safety

Drake Hanson
North Scott hockey player Noah Seagram wearing a neck guard while playing Ice Hockey.

The hockey community suffered a tragic loss of NHL player Adam Johnson during a Nottingham Panthers game held in England on Oct. 28. Another player’s skate slit open Johnson’s throat, stopping the game and preventing further play.

“Adam Johnson’s death was truly a one in a million event,” said hockey player Drake Hanson. The death has shook the hearts of all hockey players around the world and served as a wakeup call to bring up the debate of protective equipment in ice hockey.

Following the accident, The Elite Ice Hockey League in the UK has not required the use of neck guards for players, but said they are highly encouraged. In opposition, the English Ice Hockey League announced that all players will be required to wear neck guards starting in 2024. 

A neck guard is a protective piece of material worn around the neck to cover the exposed area and prevent cuts. Hanson continued on his personal experiences with neck guards. “I wore one for practice a couple of times and it wasn’t the worst. It just restricts your head movement a little and is somewhat uncomfortable,” he said.

Johnson’s NHL team, the Pittsburgh Penguins, has required its American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate teams and players to wear neck guards and wrist guards. No NHL teams have forced any of the players to wear protective gear, but some players have taken their own initiative to prevent injury by wearing neck guards.

Leagues across the world have responded differently to the incident. Ice hockey is known for its physicality and intensity, similar to other high contact sports. 

The presence of a sharp blade on the rink is a risk unique to ice hockey. American football is highly intense, but injuries are usually related to blunt force on a part of the body, resulting in internal issues. In contrast, lacerations and cuts are the most common injury in ice hockey.

Lacerations to the neck are rather uncommon in professional hockey, however. Few incidents have ever occurred, but the possibility of injury is still present and the potential outcomes of not wearing a neck guard can be catastrophic.

PV senior hockey player, Trenten Walden, adds his opinion of neck guards. “I think that everyone should be forced to wear a neck guard after the recent incident with Adam Johnson and other previous injuries from necks being cut,” said Walden. “As uncomfortable as they are, they are definitely a necessity towards our safety.”

The mandate of neck guards could potentially be put in more neck guards as injuries continue to shock the world. Incidents like Adam Johnson’s are very uncommon, so the need for neck guards is in high debate. As of now, the power is put in the hands of the players whether they wish to put themselves at risk or play with neck guards.