Michigan to play in CFP Championship after season-long sign stealing allegations

Ashwin Parab
Wearing his Michigan sweatshirt, senior Connor Schutte checks on the box score of the Big 10 Championship.

Earlier this college football season, The University of Michigan gained allegations of cheating through sign stealing against opponents.

Multiple Big 10 football teams and media outlets claimed that Michigan staff attended opponents’ games weeks prior to them playing Michigan to observe play signs, putting Michigan at an advantage.

Michigan coaching staff, players and officials denied any knowledge of sign sealing and reassured the media that there was no impermissible, in-person scouting of opponents.

Regardless, both the NCAA and the Big Ten Conference launched an investigation into the alleged Michigan sign-stealing scandal. Since the investigation would take months, The Big Ten Conference banned head coach Jim Harbaugh from coaching at Michigan’s three remaining regular-season games, including the most anticipated game of the season against the Ohio State Buckeyes. In Harbaugh’s absence, interim head coach Sherrone Moore led the Wolverines to 3 standout wins against Penn State, Maryland and Ohio State.

Senior Connor Schutte, a Michigan Wolverine fan, was surprised that the situation was handled swiftly. “I’m glad that they were able to resolve it without getting into legal battles. Losing Harbaugh didn’t have as large of an impact as I thought it would but I think that just shows how resilient and focused this Michigan team is this season,” he said.

Michigan continued their season, through the allegations, beating Iowa in the Big 10 Championship and earning the #1 spot in the College Football Playoffs.

Many believe that Michigan shouldn’t have been considered for a spot in the College Football Playoffs due to the ongoing investigation regardless of their perfect 13-0 record and Big 10 Championship win. 

Recently, Michigan beat #4 Alabama in the College Football Playoffs and advanced to the College Football Championship, overcoming hurdles such as missing their coach and during an ongoing investigation.

Senior Spencer Johnson, an avid football fan, was amazed that Michigan made it this far. “In football, coaching is everything and Michigan went into their hardest games of the year without their head coach. It’s impressive what they’ve accomplished this season and I think they have a good shot at winning the National Championship,” he stated.

Although the allegations against Michigan are still being investigated, the Wolverines had to face challenges such as missing their head coach in vital games and being pushed to the limelight of college football. 

Losing pivotal games in college football could impact many opportunities for players to play on the nation’s largest stage and with the fame also comes sponsors and other university-wide benefits. Although Michigan’s 2023 season ended up being very successful, it revealed an issue regarding allegations in sports and how they can be detrimental for teams at the collegiate level. 

Regardless, Michigan’s undefeated season proves that ultimately football is won on the gridiron and not in the press, and it’s exciting to see what the Wolverines will do in the College Football Championship.