Popularity of mixed dog breeds: Mutts or Purebreds

David Gorsline’s goldendoodle, Oakley, sitting in the grass. Photo credit to David Gorsline

The word “mutt” is a slang term used to describe a mixed-breed dog. Using the term “mutt” is not necessarily bad, but it can be considered less formal or potentially offensive to some people.

Sometimes, calling a dog a “mutt” can be offensive to an owner if they feel that it diminishes the value or uniqueness of their pet. Some owners prefer terms like “mixed breed” or “rescue dog” instead. 

Having a purebred dog used to show great wealth, given history that dates back centuries. Purebred dogs used to represent royalty and great wealth in a family. For example, pug and corgi purebreds have a background with royalty and extreme wealth in European and Asian countries. However, in today’s society, with the constant rise in popularity of mixed dog breeds, mutts can be more expensive than purebreds.

With the continuous rise in popularity, there are many different dog breeds. The breeds usually have positive benefits, but there can also be negative aspects to cross-breeding causing issues in genetics. 

Senior Mary Paige Withers has a Chiweenie, which is an unusual dog breed; a mix of a chiwawa and a weiner dog. “I love Nori [her dog], however, since she is a mix with a weiner dog she has back problems. It’s kind of sad because chihuahuas don’t usually have back issues, but since she has a longer spine, she tends to limp and have tendonitis,” Withers said. 

Mixing dog breeds has become extremely popular due to the different qualities an owner wants in a pup. People see advantages in mixed breed dogs; for example, the possibility of eliminating unwanted traits such as shedding and genetic problems like hip dysplasia.

For example, a poodle is a hypoallergenic dog, which means it doesn’t shed, however, a dog like a lab or golden retriever sheds a lot.

Though labs and golden retrievers shed, they are great family dogs that are known for being gentle and kind. These positive qualities can be combined in a crossbred dog like a Goldendoodle or Labradoodle. 

The Goldendoodle jumped up in ranking from the  number nine dog in 2020 to the top five in 2021, according to Rover’s database of millions of dog profiles. 

Senior David Gorsline has had a great experience with his golden doodle, Oakley. “Oakley is an all-around great dog. He is so playful and fun but he is also very gentle. I also have allergies and Oakley is hypoallergenic so he doesn’t bother me,” Gorsline said.

With Goldendoodles and many other crossbred dogs being very popular, the stereotype of a “mutt” being an unwanted dog has been  squashed. As dog owners’ wants change, crossbred dog popularity rises.