Addition of roundabouts at TBK raises concerns

Justin Clemons
    The roundabouts are staying busy after their recent debut.

Roundabouts have been growing in global popularity, even replacing some local traffic lights. This has proven beneficial to drivers, as there is a reported 90% fatal crash reduction when compared to traffic lights in Iowa.

This change has been affecting many areas in Iowa, including Bettendorf. Two roundabouts have been added in Forest Grove Drive outside of the TBK Sports Complex. In addition to these, two more roundabouts are scheduled to be built next to the TBK in the near future. 

Senior Drew Geerts, a resident of a nearby neighborhood, is satisfied with the new addition of roundabouts. “They allow for drivers to make turns by their own choice instead of waiting at a stoplight,” he stated. He claims taking the roundabouts on his way to school is much faster than when he took the stoplights. 

Though they may be a safer option than traffic lights, senior Hayden Boeh, also a nearby resident, disapproves of the roundabouts. “It’s going to be annoying because when the Bettplex is packed there will be traffic because people don’t know how to use the roundabouts,”. 

Due to their relatively new appearance in America, some Americans may not have used any roundabouts. Unlike traditional traffic lights, roundabouts require more awareness and caution. This has a possibility of causing confusion which can lead to traffic. 

As of Nov. 1, all the local phases of construction are completed. Forest Grove is now open, as well as the intersection of Forest Grove and Middle Road. The roundabouts allow for access to the expansions the TBK has planned, including their golf range and four more multi-purpose fields.

This addition to the TBK Sports Complex will attract many new people to the Quad Cities. But, this wave of tourists has the potential to cause a lot of traffic. 

Neighborhoods and nearby schools already have traffic that interrupts the flow of cars near Forest Grove. Combine that with the consistent crowds at the TBK and newcomers visiting the attractions, and Forest Grove will be packed with cars.

Roundabouts help divert traffic and create an efficient flow due to its design. But, also has a chance to increase traffic during its debut at Forest Grove.