Finding peace in Hanukkah amid global oppression

Tyler Nels
A menorah located outside of a local gas station celebrating Hanukkah

Supporters of the terrorist group Hamas called to ‘destroy the Jews completely,’ 73% of Jewish college students have experienced antisemitism on campus, a shooting occurred at a synagogue hours before Hanukkah and Jewish families fear expressing their religious beliefs to others. 

The Jewish community just wants peace.

Hanukkah, traditionally spelt as Chanukah, is normally a time of peace for the followers of Judaism. It celebrates the retaking of the Jewish temple in Jerusalem from foreign invaders and evokes a story of Jewish valor and the will to resist assimilation. While the story of taking back the Ner Termid, known as the eternal light, is thousands of years old, the story of Jewish oppression is still being written.

On Oct 7, 2023, Hamas began what would become the deadliest terrorist attack in Israel’s history, starting a war that has killed over 18,000 people. 

Rob Levine, a Major in the Army currently deployed in Kuwait, believes that Hannukah will be used this year to unite and show solidarity of the Jewish people in wake of the attacks. “Hanukkah is the first somewhat major Jewish holiday after the attack on Israel. I could see that some Jews might be celebrating with greater pride and purpose,” he said.

Last week, university presidents from the University of Pennsylvania, Harvard University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) were questioned by the House Committee of Education over antisemitism present on their campuses. When asked about how they would respond to use of language like the “genocide of Jews,” the presidents failed to provide a conclusive answer on whether it would breach freedom of speech at their universities.

Freshman Nathan Nelson has heard of acts of antisemitism and feels that they have no place in society. “I know of some incidents that have happened. The way we handle it is to educate people that they shouldn’t hate another person just because they believe in different things,” he said.

On Dec 7, in the hours before the start of Hanukkah, a man in Albany, New York was arrested for firing a shotgun outside of a synagogue. While being apprehended by the police, the man shouted “Free Palestine.” No one was injured, but the hate crime created more trauma for the Jewish community.

Hate crimes against the Jewish community can be seen throughout the entire United States, and antisemitic acts against Jews aren’t new. “Growing up, my grandmother lived in West Rogers Park in Chicago. I would sometimes hear about a synagogue being victimized in her area,” said Levine. Acts of violence against Jews have increased in frequency due to the Israel-Hamas war.

With all of the hatred and violence being pushed onto the Jewish people, some are receding to the shadows while others are using Hanukkah to unify their community. “Some Jewish people are taking down their religious symbols because they don’t want to ‘advertise’ that they are Jewish. Other people are doing the opposite. They are putting up more symbols and standing up for what they believe in,” said Nelson.

In the Quad Cities, synagogues are hosting multiple Hanukkah celebrations in light of events from this year. “The local communities have Chanukah parties, public menorah lightings, and there is a parade that will happen. The local celebrations won’t be any different than other years,” said Nelson.

Hanukkah is a festival of celebration and a time of joy and happiness. This year, Hanukkah is a reminder of the Jewish peoples’ resilience and valor in the face of oppression.