Real Christmas trees can be hazardous if not tended to properly

A+beautiful+and+real+Christmas+tree.+This+tree+is+well+watered+and+away+from+dangerous+heat+sources.+
    Hannah McVey
    A beautiful and real Christmas tree. This tree is well watered and away from dangerous heat sources.

With Christmas rolling around the corner, millions of people are decorating or have already finished decorating their homes for the Christmas season. One of the staple Christmas decorations is a Christmas tree; however, real trees can be extremely hazardous without proper care. 

80% of Americans will have a Christmas tree inside their home this holiday season. The majority of people (63%) will put up an artificial tree, while 24% will get a real tree.

Many families have traditions to visit a local Christmas tree farm, pick out their tree, saw it down, attach it to their car, decorate it and enjoy the rich fir and pine essence that fills their home. 

Senior Ty Gardner and his family engage in this tradition every year. “Each Christmas season since I can remember we have gone to a tree farm and picked out our tree. We love the smell and just the idea of having a real tree in our house,” Gardner said. 

Families like Gardner’s aren’t doing anything wrong by having a beautiful and authentic tree for their holiday season, but it is important these families do proper research prior to placing a wild tree inside their humble abode. For instance, Christmas trees are susceptible to fires if not treated with proper care

US fire departments responded to an estimated average of 160 home structure fires per year that began with the ignition of Christmas trees. These fires caused an annual average of two civilian deaths, 11 civilian injuries, and $12 million in direct property damage.

The major cause of Christmas tree fires is dryness. A Christmas tree needs about 3 quarts of water per day or even more; it is impossible to overwater a Christmas tree. The tree roots should be consistently immersed in water and will drink up the water it needs. However, if the tree does not get enough water, it will dry up and be unable to get additional water.

When the tree dries up, it can be much more susceptible to fire.

Another way trees often catch fire is proximity to lights. Lights that produce high levels of heat, overloaded electrical circuits and excessive light use (lights are on all day, everyday) can cause sparks which could ignite a fire.

Anne Fairchild is well aware of the precautions needed in order to have a real tree. “My husband and I love having a real tree during the holidays, but we also are extremely careful and tedious with how we treat the plant. We make sure to water it large amounts of water daily and keep it away from hazardous heat and electrical sources,” she stated.

To check out the difference between a dry and a well watered tree, watch this YouTube video created by FOX54 News Huntsville: Unwatered Christmas tree vs. watered tree burn. This video shows the severe consequences of a careless tree owner. 

If real Christmas tree buyers follow the National Fire Protection Association safety tips, a Christmas tree fire will not be a worry