LEGO’s revamped branding brings on a new audience

Alex Lokenvitz
One of LEGO’s sets aimed at a new audience

For years, the LEGO company aimed to market sets specifically towards children. With their fun childish designs and sets resembling children’s favorite movies, toys and brands, it is no question that LEGOs thrived as the biggest toy company in the world. 

Recently, however, a new era has dawned for the iconic brand. There has been a resurgence of popularity of legos among a new and enthusiastic audience of adults, and the LEGO company has capitalized on this by shifting their marketing strategies to more mature designs. 

One major factor in LEGOs’ renewed popularity is the company’s unique approach to marketing. By recognizing the nostalgia that many adults hold of their childhood LEGO memories, the company has infiltrated the browsers of many adults who thought their LEGO days were over. LEGO has successfully positioned its product as a creative outlet for those of all ages, rather than just a toy.

The company has now begun to produce new collections that appeal to a much wider age range. Between famous architecture, detailed cityscapes and character mannequins, LEGOs’ new brand image has produced new popular sets that appeal to everyone. The expansion into more sophisticated and mature sets has opened the door to a much broader audience that can now shamelessly take part in one of their favorite childhood pastimes. 

Another contribution to the rise in popularity of LEGOs is its newfound popularity among high-influence individuals on social media. Celebrities like Ed sheeran and Tom hardy have stated they enjoy the product, but most prominently professional basketball player Myles Turner has proclaimed that “I don’t play with LEGOs,” continuing, “That’s literally all I do in my downtime … it’s a way for me to take my mind off things … I’ve already built 12 different projects,” said Turner.

Not only are adults getting back into LEGOs, but there are also students that have noticed the recent traction that LEGO has gained. “I have seen some of the new sets that they have come out with and definitely considered buying some of them. They seem more like a decorative art kinda thing than a LEGO set,” stated senior Mary Paige Withers.

LEGO’s recent rise in popularity can be attributed to a combination of the introduction of more mature and sophisticated designs, savvy marketing techniques and the public endorsement that has come from multiple different celebrities. The product once deemed solely a toy has evolved into a creative and versatile outlet for people of all ages, sparking a resurgence that shows no signs of slowing down.

$580
$1000