Top 5 Time Management Strategies for Increased Productivity

Reetham Gubba
Time is a valuable resource and learning to manage it effectively is a discipline that will benefit one for the rest of their life.

Highschoolers tend to have a lot on their plate. From academics to extracurriculars to friends and family, the list doesn’t stop. With so much going on, managing time effectively can become a struggle. Even outside of high school, almost 82% of people don’t have a proper time management system. With more organization, individuals can be more efficient while still being able to take time out of their day to do the things they want to do. Here are the top five time management strategies for increased productivity. 

Understanding priorities

• By understanding what tasks are important and what aren’t, people can better focus and complete their work efficiently. By understanding what is important and what isn’t, people won’t feel like they are wasting time, and they will get the important tasks out of the way.

Creating a to-do list

• After understanding your priorities, create a to-do list. A to-do list is literally just a list of tasks that needs to be completed, which includes other important details such as deadlines. This will tremendously help individuals who tend to procrastinate and forget to do their tasks. Additionally, to-do lists keep people accountable because there is a small but motivating force behind checking off a task. Additionally, there are numerous apps on the web that help create to-do lists

Scheduling time blocks

• The time blocks method is a good way to prioritize projects. Time blocks is a time management method where individuals divide their day into blocks of time. A way to schedule time blocks is by using the feature event on the google calendar app or website. 

Pomodoro Technique

• The Pomodoro technique is a great time-management strategy to avoid burnout while also staying productive. To use this technique, set a timer for 25 minutes and work on a task until the timer goes off. Afterwards, take a short break (usually five to ten minutes) before starting the next Pomodoro. After four Pomodoros, take a longer break (usually 20–30 minutes). This website is a great tool to use the Pomodoro technique. 

Get rid of distractions

• Arguably one of the most important parts of time management is to get rid of all distractions. By getting rid of distractions, one can focus and concentrate on completing their tasks. A good way to avoid distractions is by putting them in another room. For example, notification alerts from phones are an easy way to get distracted, so by placing their phone in another room, the owner won’t hear the notifications, ultimately, not being distracted.