My two cents: Iowa’s loss of collective bargaining

No one asked for my opinion on all of the changes education in Iowa is now facing–maybe because I’m just another millennial. But I’m here to tell you why this is one issue for which we need to raise our voices.

Despite the occasional weekends spent in doing that project (let’s face it, you probably procrastinated anyway), the homework assignment that cuts into your after school nap time and, God forbid, those cell phone confiscations that’ll leave you craving your beloved screen-to-screen contact, teachers will be some of the more influential people we encounter in our lifetimes. That doesn’t go to say that you won’t get stuck with a dud or two– believe me, the number of child educators who don’t actually like children is remarkable. But, I can promise that along with the duds will be some of the most amazing, wise, unforgettable people you’ll ever meet. However, these impactful beings that coach us through fractions, the periodic table of elements, the Revolutionary War, grammar rules 101, and life, have become subject to the government’s plans to seize the rights of the state’s public workers to negotiate their own contracts. Pardon my weak slang, but that is totally not cool.

After nearly 40 years of Iowa’s public workers having collective bargaining rights, our governor took the initiative to enact a law which diminished the progression of the rights of public workers. Public workers, our very own teachers included, have lost of their ability to negotiate their own contracts. The conditions that were once present in years past have come into play again, negatively affecting the development of Iowa’s unions.

As for the effect this poses on Pleasant Valley High, all the teachers we rely on for our learning, in and out of the classroom, are taking the hit on their own contracts. Teachers are already notorious for getting “robbed” out of what they deserve for the magnitude of the work that they do for children. “It does hit teachers especially hard as the profession itself already doesn’t get its respect,” Pleasant Valley teacher, Eric Larew, commented. “Additionally, I believe those aspiring to be teachers in Iowa will be affected negatively,” he added. This is already proving to be valid, as Iowa teachers have already begun applying to schools in Minnesota. How generous of us to donate some of our most valuable assets.

In regards to the impact that is posed by teachers outside of the classroom, Pleasant Valley teacher, Sara Russell, stated, “I think being a teacher is so much more than what you teach; you have an impact in the classroom but it’s what’s outside that makes the most difference in the lives of students,” Russell said. “As an NHS advisor, I’ve gotten to know students I’ve never had in class, but I’ve been able to grow the closest with these students and stay in touch with them for years after graduation. By interacting with these kids outside of the classroom through coaching and advising, I’ve been able to create much deeper, more valuable relationships with students and I hope I’ve made a difference in their lives in doing so.”

Clearly, teaching has stretched far beyond the realms of subject matter and a teacher’s hired skill set. It includes more than just balancing equations and forming ionic compounds. Yes, we can count on these people for the projects we’ll do last minute, the homework assignments we’ll ignore, the tests we’ll question how we could’ve failed despite lack of review, and occasional moments of insanity. But, we can also rely on them to lead us in our adolescence and, hopefully, restore our sanity through life lessons and imparting their experience and wisdom upon us. All duds aside, teachers are the ones to shape the thinkers of the future and deserve the utmost respect and privileges for the things they do for us.

I understand the passiveness to which we millennials have grown so accustomed, but I encourage you all to go where few have gone in our generation. Whether it’s sending in letters and making calls to our governor’s office or voting in midterm elections, we have the rare opportunity to support the mentors who have always supported us.

Look up from your phone, step out of your comfort zone, and show everyone that our generation does have a voice and we’re not afraid to have it be heard. I don’t know about you guys, but it’s safe to say I won’t be team Branstad through this one. So who’s with me? Comment below with your support of our teachers. Let’s show the state what our public educators have taught us and how much we value them.

$480
$1000