White Skittles are being labeled as ‘racist’

Angel Glen via Pixabay

Earlier this week, Skittles launched a campaign to inspire LGBTQ pride. Skittles launched all-white Skittles instead of its traditional rainbow colored Skittles to help support this cause. This campaign has received a lot of backlash from everyone, and Twitter users took great offense to limited edition Skittles, claiming it “supports white supremacy.” The Skittles brand is now facing accusations of racism for its limited edition all-white candy released earlier this week.

Skittles’ intended message was, “Only one rainbow deserves to be the centre of attention – yours. And we’re not going to be the ones to steal your rainbow thunder, no siree.” Skittles said this upon introducing the new color. The Skittles wrapper reads, “Give the rainbow, taste the rainbow.” The white Skittles have the same flavor as the normal ones, but the colors are all the same.

Cody Snyder, senior, said, “I think that it is pretty stupid how Skittles made all white packages so the rainbow can be dedicated to people in the LGBTQ community. Just because they are all white doesn’t that make skittles racist. There are a lot of all white foods out there and those companies aren’t being deemed racist.”

According to BGR skittles revenue hasn’t take too big of a hit since they released this campaign. Surprisingly they aren’t projected to lose many buyers on their product.
Marcus Conway, senior, said, “I think that Skittles were trying to do a nice gesture to the LGBTQ community, but I don’t think they did their campaign the right way.” Skittles is continuing to release the product even though it has received a lot of backlash from the media in the past week since announcing they were going to be selling all white skittles for LGBTQ people.