Prom through the years

As the years go on, many aspects of high school change.  For example; what people wear for prom, how much is spent that night, and where to go to eat.

Mike Zimmer, Pleasant Valley’s principal, only notices a slight difference between his prom and prom today.  Zimmer graduated from high school in 1979. He said, “Dresses and tuxes are way more expensive than they used to be.  Also, many teens spend even more money to get a party bus or limo to take them to dinner and the dance.  When I went to prom, we did not do that.  My favorite part of prom was going out to dinner with all my friends and getting all dressed up.”

Carissa McDonald, Pleasant Valley High School’s Librarian, graduated in 1994.  She has noticed a change in how prom is done, and what people think about prom.  McDonald said, “I enjoyed going to prom, and getting all dressed up.  I always had a great time with my friends, and it was the perfect way to end the school year.  When I went to prom only the juniors and seniors were allowed to go.  Having this requirement made it such a bigger deal to go to prom since you had to wait your turn to go to the dance.  As the dance changes each year, I do not think it is as much of a special night now that freshman and sophomores can go if they are asked.”

Seen throughout the school during the school year and on the softball field in the summer, is Samantha Urban. Urban graduated from Davenport West in 2008.  Even though she did not attend prom while in high school, she did hear about it and knows what prom was like.  Urban said, “From when I was in high school to now, prom dances are more strict for the students.  I think this could be turning more people away, and making them not want to go.”

A 2010 Pleasant Valley graduate, Trisha Piotter, loved prom and everything about prom.  Piotter said, “I thought prom was so much fun!  It was cool to go to the dance at a place other than the high school.  The best part though was after prom.  So many fun games, great activities, and good food.  It was also super cool for the seniors to get awesome gifts!”  Every year she looked forward to prom season and spending time with her friends.

Many schools run their proms differently. Maci Noack, senior at Pleasant Valley, said, “Prom is overrated, and I shouldn’t be expected to spend that much on a dress.  Unfortunately, my mom is making me go and get all dressed up because it is a fun event to experience.  Also, I think the tickets this year are way over priced, and it makes me not want to go even more.”

While prom ticket costs, dress/tux costs, and dinner cost continue to skyrocket,  many high schoolers are not sure if it is even worth going. The thoughts going through teenagers heads are, ‘I’m only going to wear the dress once’, ‘the ticket costs more than my dinner will’, or ‘I don’t even like getting dressed up.’  Evan Terronez, American Sign Language teacher, says, “Prom is what you make of it, if you want it to be a fun night then it will be.”  Enjoy yourself on May 6, 2017, for this is the night many kids can’t wait for.