Prom on a budget

With prom just around the corner, planning for expenses of the evening is a rising concern. Whether it’s the guy or gal, the night’s price tag always reaches a blistering peak.

From the dress to tux rental, and to the pictures and dinner, the cost is always rising.

This year’s Pleasant Valley Social Committee has increased the prices for the school’s Prom tickets. They are now $20 a ticket, and that does not include the RAP (right after prom event) ticket either, which is an additional $10.

Much talk has gone around with opinions of the tickets being ridiculously priced.

Austin Stickle, senior, said, “I think the price of prom tickets being increased has stumped people’s interest in going. It’s too expensive for high schoolers to enjoy when it’s supposed to be a fun night for them. Asking guys to pay $60 for their dates and theirs tickets is crazy.”

Prom and RAP ticket expenses are just the beginning for the cost of the entire night. Multiple PV girls have said they will spend hundreds of dollars.

Senior, Claire Park, said, “I’ll easily be spending over $700 for prom. Adding up the cost for your dress, nails, hair appointment, boutonniere, prom pictures and possibly extra jewelry and shoes really adds up. I definitely think it’s worth it though, there’s only a limited amount of times you go to prom in your life.”

A way to make prom cheaper for the girl is limiting the price they spend on a dress. With the average for prom dresses being $300-$400, cutting down on the dress price may not be the most desirable way but is the easiest way to cut expenses.
Emma Gellerstedt, senior, said, “I think it’s outrageous to spend around $500 dollars on a dress when you are only going to wear it one time, so this year I went out on a limb and ordered a dress for a cheaper cost and am just as satisfied as I would be with a more expensive dress.”