Senior skip day

Senior skip day

At Pleasant Valley High School, the Monday after prom has been designated as “senior skip day.” This is a day when most senior students skip school in order to recover from prom weekend. Administration doesn’t see this as an actual day; they feel it has just been made up by the seniors for the past several years. The administration recently sent a letter home to all seniors, outlining the requirements needed to graduate. The letter also directed to the parents that senior skip day isn’t an actual thing. It basically said to parents that if they let their kids skip, they are not good parents at all.

Dakota Snyder, senior, thinks that everybody should have the Monday after prom off of school. Snyder said, “Saturday we turn up; Sunday is recovery; Monday is the comback; and Tuesday is the return.” Snyder thinks that since nearly all seniors protest school anyways, we may as well just have the day off.

Carter Christisen, senior, agrees with Snyder. “RAP goes super late, so us students don’t get to go to sleep until early Sunday morning. We need Monday off to fix our sleep schedule.” CJ Roethler, senior, is one senior who will actually be attending school on Monday. He said, “I am only going to school because I have a big test that day.”

A poll asking 45 seniors in the Pleasant Valley senior class showed that 68.88% of them were not going to go to school on “senior skip day,” and 20% of the people surveyed said they might skip school depending on what their parents said. That leaves just 12% of the people surveyed going to school for sure.