Hazing or murder?

At many universities and colleges throughout the United States, fraternity and sorority hazing has been a concern of many people.  According to dictionary.com, hazing is defined as subjection of harassment or ridicule.  Hazing is often a part of the initiation ceremony, and if they make it through the hazing it proves they are ‘ready’ to be a part of their greek life community.  Allison Vankeulen, senior, said, “Even though frat hazing has been illegal for years now, universities across the United States still take part in this initiation ceremony, including the University of Iowa. I know someone that is in a frat in Iowa that has a brand of the fraternity’s symbol.”

At this time, only 44 out of the 50 states have passed an anti-hazing law and put it in use.  Senior Lauren Stout, said, “It is crazy that only 44 states have this law, but it is incredible thinking that students feel they need to go through hazing to be seen as ‘cool’.”  This law prohibits anyone from performing any action that resembles hazing, and is required by a school group or organization in order to become a new member. If one is caught taking part in the hazing and found guilty, the student has a very high chance of facing some jail time.

On the night of Feb. 2 at Penn State University, initiates of Beta Theta Pi had just finished their rituals. This included the initiates running from station to station while chugging large quantities of alcohol. Later that night after running around, a 19 year old male, Timothy Piazza, fell down a flight of stairs into the basement of the frat house.  

When the frat members found him at the bottom of the stairs, Piazza was found dead on the basement floor. After he was found, a text message was sent in the fraternity’s groupchat saying, “Piazza might actually be a problem. He fell 15 feet down a flight of stairs, hair-first, going to need help.”  Although they noticed he was knocked out cold and fell down the stairs, they did not call 911 for 12 hours.
After analyzing his body, it was discovered he had fractured his skull and a lacerated spleen.  These injuries caused him to have blood flowing into his abdominal cavity. The boys who took part in the hazing were found by the court as disregarding human life. Out of the whole fraternity, eight of the members were charged with involuntary manslaughter.  Along with manslaughter, they were charged with assault, alcohol violation, and tampering with evidence.