PVGSD: New Coach, New Opportunities

After receiving runner-up at the MAC championship meet and placing 13th at state last season, PV swimmers are looking for a comeback this season. The Pleasant Valley Girls Swim team starts the 2017 season with a new coach and promising freshmen. PVGSD has had four different coaches over the past four years and Frank DeMaria plans on ending that pattern. “New blood comes in every year and my goal is to initiate something steady,” says DeMaria.

DeMaria has been coaching for an upwards of 5 years but has been deeply involved in swimming for 17 years. He began coaching at University of Michigan swim camps, then for Club Wolverine and the Ann Arbor High School swim team in Michigan. Following that, DeMaria became the head coach for Greenville Schools before coming to Pleasant Valley. This year’s freshmen additions to PV’s varsity team include: Abby Minor, Naomi Hains and Amelia Prescher. Minor says these swimmers are, “working on shaping swim technique and excited to learn more from Coach DeMaria.”

This season has taken a different direction than previous seasons, as DeMaria brings a new coaching and workout philosophy to the girls. The swimming component of the workouts focuses on aerobic intensity and technique strengthening, while the dry-land component of PVGSD’s workout focuses on shoulder isolation, cardio and lifting exercises. In previous seasons, the girls have lacked proper training in the weightroom but are pleased with this new addition to their practices. Captain Emily Goodman believes, “the practices are different for our team compared to past years, but we have quickly adapted and are already benefitting from them”.

After three meets, PVGSD remains undefeated. The next two home meets are against Clinton on September, 16 and Bettendorf on October, 3. Come out and support PVGSD!