The Next Level

With commitment season approaching, Spartan athletes have been making life changing decisions as to where they will take their talent. The recruitment process can be long and stressful, but once the big decision is reached, there is no better feeling in the world. Hard work and dedication has truly paid off for these Spartan athletes.

Athlete- Alexia Lara, Senior

School- Drake University

Sport- Softball

Why Drake?- “I like the campus and the coaches had a really good chemistry. Drake also had the programs that I wanted to study.”

Why Softball?- “I started playing softball competitively when I was 10 years old. My dad introduced me to the sport and I grew up watching my sister play.”

Goals for the Future- “I want to be a dentist and hopefully an All-American.”

Favorite Softball Memory- “My favorite memory is after losing in the state championship and coming back the next year and winning the whole thing.”

Athlete- Ellie Spelhaug, Senior

School- Bradley University

Sport- Basketball

Why Bradley?- “The campus was amazing and just the right size for me. It’s a private college so it’s smaller. They don’t have a football team so a lot of money goes into basketball so everything is beautiful. The coaches and players are awesome and so nice.”

Why Basketball?- “I believe I started the sport in a YMCA program. I’ve probably been playing basketball since I was 3 years old.”

Goals for the Future- “I want to be the best athlete and basketball player I can be. My first goal was to commit to Division One basketball, but now I want to do well at the college level. I want to get a good education and make some great memories with my Bradley teammates.”

Favorite Basketball Memory- “At practice one day when Rory Donahue and I ran into each other head on and I got a black eye and she had a bruised nose.”

Athlete- Kelsey Ruff, Senior

School- Augustana University at Sioux Falls

Sport- Volleyball                                         

Why Augustana?- “The science program is amazing and I loved the coaches and the players.”

Why Volleyball?- “My mom is a volleyball coach and I started when I was six years old.”

Goals for the Future- “I want to set records at my school and become an All-American.”

Favorite Volleyball Memory- “Once we had a water balloon fight after practice at Crow Creek park.”