New beginnings

Adrien Facélina via Wikimedia Commons
Adrien Facélina via Wikimedia Commons

As you get ready to approach the next chapter in your life, you may find that your mind can be full with nervous thoughts and that you may be under constant anxiety. But going into high school should definitely not be one of those times. The grades will come and you will get adjusted to the workload within the first month, which is nothing to stress over. The grades are some what important but what is even more important are the tools, character and interpersonal skills that you learn while in high school.

Going into high school can be scary for many, even I was quite nervous about how I was going to fit in being in a new environment and how I was going to look in the eyes of those who were older than me. But that was a mistake, I had it completely wrong worrying about what the upperclassmen would think of me, because to be completely honest they probably never noticed me. They probably couldn’t have cared less about what I wore or who I hung out with because they were all too busy worrying about graduating and going on to the next chapter of their life. So just worry about yourself. I know it can be easier trying to fit into the crowd rather than being who you really are, but it will be worth it in the long run–you’ll be happier. So whether you’re an athlete, a computer guru, or a book worm just be yourself.

After completing the rather more awkward stages of your life in junior high, you are ready to branch out and see what you are made of. High school is about molding and shaping into the person that you want to be. It’s important to know that while on this quest of becoming the person that you want to be, people will come in and out of your life and that’s okay. Everyone who has been a part of your life has been put there for a reason; it’s important to grow and learn from them. The real ones that you call you’re true friends may be hard to find but the effort put into looking for them will be worth it. It’s important to find the crowd that you really want to be in.

Finally, make wise decisions. A lot of people have this fictitious belief that what happens in high school won’t negatively affect your future and the plans that you have for yourself in the long run. Making decisions to drink alcohol, try drugs or have irresponsible sex can have serious implications for the rest of your life. Don’t fall into the peer pressure of doing something that is illegal or that you are not ready for.

I now have less than a week left in my high school career, and with that being said, my classmates and I can not wait to leave the doors of Pleasant Valley High School for the last time. I can also can say that the past four years have been the best four years of my life thus far. So enjoy high school and all of the fun that comes with it.