Why should I care about North Korea?

Victoria Borodinova via pixabay

North Korea and the United States have had an ongoing conflict for the past couple decades. It has become a more pressing issue with North Korea’s new developments in nuclear weapons. These recent weapon tests have led to an increase in general unease and instability.

North Korea has had at least six nuclear tests of which the United States knows. They have tested a few ballistic missiles that are capable of hitting Alaska, Hawaii and even California according to CNN. While experts are entirely aware of the scope of the missiles and North Korea’s relative preparedness, North Korea has maintained that they have nuclear launch capability. There have been no definitive answers as to whether or not North Korea has inter-continental range but, according to BBC, experts believe current carriers could reach Alaska or Hawaii.

North Korea tested a hydrogen bomb earlier in the month which raises concern over the possibility of nuclear war. According to CNN, this bomb is the most powerful weapon North Korea has ever created. The bomb dropped on Hiroshima in 1945 had the explosive yield of 15 kilotons, and this new bomb has a yield almost three times that. If launched, this bomb could cause mass devastation.

US Defense Minister James Mattis warned of a “massive military response” to any direct threat issued by North Korea against the United States. Any US military action is complicated by the proximity of neighboring countries, such as South Korea and Japan. Any military response would be hindered by the unwillingness of the US to both cause further feuds between other countries and endanger civilian lives.

Trump and Kim-Jong Un have been firing threats back and forth saying that if one of them tries anything there will be extreme consequences. In response to the situation, Trump said that he would fight back with “fire and fury like the world has never seen” in the event of military action. Trump has proposed a plan to toughen military pressure in order to be ready at all times for an attack.

The US is willing to talk to North Korea under one condition, which is to abandon their nuclear weapon program. In exchange for this, they want the US to suspend military drills. The tension continues to rise between the US and North Korea and it’s important that people understand what’s going on in the world and why they should care about this pressing issue.