The Ban on Censorship: Reading Across America

Lubos Houska via pixabay

September 24-30 was nationally recognized in 1982 as Banned Books Week. Banned Books Week recognizes certain risky titles that have been challenged in schools, libraries and even bookstores. This week celebrates the right to read any challenged book and acknowledges the right that students have to all information without censorship.

Banned Books Week brings together students, teachers, librarians and parents alike. Popular books such as “To Kill a Mockingbird”, “The Catcher in the Rye”, “1984”, “Perks of Being a Wallflower” and “Animal Farm” have all been challenged multiple times in the past. Many high school students may have read these novels for school, so the question of “Why have they been challenged?” arises. A book can be tried for many reasons, including sexually explicit content, mature themes, categories of offensive language or unjust political expressions or themes throughout the novel.

Anyone is able to challenge a book. In 2016, a case was brought to the attention of Virginia Schools in which one of the most controversial books, “To Kill a Mockingbird” by Harper Lee, was to be removed from county schools for its use of racial slurs. The Los Angeles Times shares that the originator of the idea, Marie Rothstein-Williams, states that “the book’s use in schools would teach children that using the racial slur was acceptable.” However, To Kill a Mockingbird remains one of the most taught books in high schools all around the country.

According to Bannedbooksweek.org, “Banned Books Week was launched in 1982 in response to a sudden surge in the number of challenges to books in schools, bookstores and libraries.” With constant concerns and criticism of material being taught, it is important to remember boundaries and limits in the school system.

“The challenges I have been involved with have all been fairly minor,” librarian Carissa McDonald said. “We’ve been able to have conversations with parents about concerns they may have had about books or literature taught in the classroom. As a librarian, I obviously am opposed to banning books. No one has the right to take away reading from someone.”

The importance of reading is significant to all.