This is our town

Rory Donahue, Sports Editor

In the local volleyball scene, Bettendorf’s program is known for its reign over the MAC conference. The Bulldogs have won the previous four conference championships, and along the way, racked up an impressive win streak known as “The Streak.” It began in 2012 and since then, Bettendorf has rattled off 42 straight conference wins. But this past Tuesday, it all ended. The Class 5A Spartans, ranked 7th, defeated the Bulldogs, ranked 8th, in a high-intensity five set match.

The streak was on their minds, but it wasn’t the main emphasis going into the game. Senior captain Elissa Moylan explained, “I think we all wanted to break the streak, but it wasn’t our main focus. Our main focus was to win and play our very best volleyball as a team.” After jumping out to an initial 2-0 lead, the Spartans couldn’t put together enough points in the third or fourth sets to squeeze out an early win. But in the fifth set, Pleasant Valley reeled off five straight points to secure the victory. Setter Brooke Harris stated, “We came together before the set and said that we all believed in each other and that we had the ability to win. We knew the team who wanted it the most was going to win and we came out and fought with our minds and our hearts.”

Though the result of this game gives the Spartans a one-game cushion in the MAC race, the coaches and players know that the regular season isn’t over yet. “It is a good feeling, however we are not done. We have more games to come. It is a great step in the right direction of us reaching our goals,” said Coach Amber Hall. Nonetheless, knowing their team has the skill and will power to beat a high-caliber team gives the players momentum going into the latter half of the season. Harris stated, “I think as post season approaches, it gives the team a little confidence booster and some sense of where we are at. We were really tested on Tuesday and I think we can work in practice to get better in order to accomplish all the goals that we have set.”

The Spartans will wrap up their regular season with a tournament in Johnston and conference matchups against Burlington and Assumption.