Rowing on the Mississippi

This coming weekend rowers, volunteers and spectators will be crowded on the banks near the Sylvan Boathouse in Moline, Illinois to watch and take part in Row the Miss. The twenty-fifth annual rowing regatta draws in competitors from several different clubs and local college programs every year.

The inclusive race has events for all ages and levels of rowing, with races for middle school and high school students, collegiate and Master rowers, as well as adaptive rowers. Many Pleasant Valley high schoolers part of the Y Quad Cities Rowing Team will be participating in the event.

Amy Johnson, Senior Program Director of Sports and Outreach at the Two Rivers YMCA, believes that a large part of what makes the regatta special is the Junior rowing team. She says, “Opponents have the opportunity to row against YQCR-who are the best in the Midwest!” With a junior program that regularly attends the Youth National Championships and contends for medals, the juniors are proud to have a home race that highlights their boathouse and their home waters of the Mississippi River.

For Pleasant Valley senior Justin English, having a race so close to home is a big benefit. “It gives us a great chance to compete without the hassle of travel,” he comments. The junior rowing members travel all over the country to compete in rowing races, so to be able to race without leaving the Quad City area is a welcomed change.

The race taking place Saturday is forecaster to have rainy weather, but English says this will not deter the spirits of rowers and volunteers alike. “Even if the weather is sub-par, we will still have a chance to compete and come together with friends and family,” he explains. The regatta is truly a bonding experience for the Quad City team. Not only do the rowers race, but many of them also join forces with parents to volunteer their time to help the regatta run as smoothly as possible and give the local race a community feel. Every year, parents also pitch in by bringing quality food to have available for competitors. T-shirts and rowing gear are also sold at the race in tents run by volunteers. Additionally, volunteers run the timing, drive their own personal boats to act as safety launches, man a Welcome Tent, give out awards and make sure all boats safely launch and land on the dock. Without their help, the regatta could not function.

As hundreds of people mill around the boathouse and waterfront area, it will be clear to see the organization and dedication of the volunteers. The rowers in all different levels of racing will have an opportunity to compete and bond with one another on the Mississippi River in this local annual event.