Gender Rivalry: Upcoming Powderpuff matches

As always, Pleasant Valley is hosting its Reverse Powderpuff (boys play volleyball) event during football season. This year, the Powderpuff (girls play football) match will also be held during the fall football season, as opposed to last year, when it was held during the springtime. The main reason for the switch to the fall, is that springtime is simply too busy.

With both girls and boys soccer and track in season, the football field was rarely available for use for other events, such as a Powderpuff football tournament. Senior, Kira Arthofer shares, “I was never able to participate in it (Powderpuff) due to track and soccer games, so switching it to fall time really helps me and a lot of other athletes.” Kira is planning on being on a powderpuff team with other senior female athletes. Senior, Lexi Neal agrees, “I am being on a team this year because it is my senior year and I am finally able to play. I think Powderpuff is an awesome event overall because we get to do something we normally wouldn’t get to, and it helps the Hunger Drive so it’s a win-win,” Neal says.

“Making powderpuff football during actual football season makes it much more authentic,” Senior, Hope Leonard shares.

With all positive feedback coming from the girls side, the boys side seems just as amped for Reverse powderpuff. Sign-up sheets are being taken off Spartan Assembly Advisor, Mrs. Dixon’s wall, as the boys are ready to form teams and bring their competition to the volleyball match. Senior, Caleb Carius, shares, “I’m excited to do it again this year, since I did it two years ago and we didn’t win.” Carius, a member of the football team claims, “If the team of offensive linemen doesn’t win, it’s definitely rigged.”

All proceeds from both events goes to support the Student Hunger Drive, benefiting the end to hunger in the Quad Cities. Arthofer shares, “It’s a fun way to bring different classes and groups together to raise donations for a good cause.” Pleasant Valley students are looking forward to the battle of the genders in both reverse, as well as regular powderpuff games. The girl’s Powderpuff match will take place on Saturday, October 21st at 11am on the football field, and Reverse Powderpuff will be held on the 23rd of October, at 6:30pm in the gym here at PVHS.