My two cents: walking in the hallways

Nobody asked me how I felt about walking in the hallways, but since I have been walking in them for four years, I’m going to tell you anyways. Freshmen, this one’s for you.

I have been at Pleasant Valley High School for four years now, and in these four years I have learned a valuable lost art: how to walk properly in the hallways. I understand how freshman have never walked the hallowed halls of PVHS, so I am here to help you out. The first rule is to never stop in the hallways, EVER. I understand that your friend probably has something really important to say, but please keep the traffic moving. Even if you drop your pencil in the hallway it is not that important. Leave the pencil instead of taking 7 years trying to pick it up and making everyone walk around you.

The second rule is to walk like you’re driving. I get it: you’re a freshman you probably haven’t taken driver’s ed before, so I’ll give you the crash course. A big part of driving is staying in the right lane. If we went to school in England then our hallways would be much different, but since we drive on the right side, we walk on the right side. For the love of God do not stray away from this lane. Another way walking is like driving is the fact that you must wait for others to go – especially if you are turning left. It’s common courtesy to wait for others to go in front of you, so just do it. The final part – that’s possibly the most important – is keeping to the speed limit. That means don’t go too slow or too fast. Walking too slow can cause slow traffic, which means that people don’t get to their classes. Walking fast, means running into people and having others feel like they have to match your speed – which causes a lot of sweaty, fast walking students.

The third rule is to give others space in the hallway. This sort of applies to staying in your lane, but add more people into the situation. If you are walking with two or more people, divide and conquer. Either clump tightly or have some of you walk in front or behind. It is rude to take up the entire hallway just so you can tell Lindsay and Tiffany how Brad totally called you for like 7 minutes last night.

The fourth rule is no PDA in the halls. I understand that you are probably very much in love, but keep your love to yourself. I personally do not want to see you guys making out during the 5 minute passing period, just give each other a quick high-five and walk away. You’ll be able to have plenty of time with each other after school.

The fifth and final rule is to just use common sense. You know when you’re in others ways and how to prevent it. Just try to be normal in the hallways and try your best to walk the way that won’t disrupt the natural flow of the hallways and you will be fine.