Raise the standard

The Iowa State Cyclones have put Ames, Iowa on the map this fall. For only the third time in school history, they went undefeated in the month of October. In the newly released College Football Poll, Iowa State was ranked number 15 in the nation.

After losing to their rival, The Iowa Hawkeyes at home in week two, it was looking to become another disappointing season for the Cyclones. Last season, the Cyclones finished 3-9, and 9th in the Big 12 conference. Two weeks later, Iowa State lost again after an ugly performance against the unranked Texas Longhorns at home. Fans left Jack Trice Stadium early and the #3 ranked Oklahoma Sooners awaited.

Oklahoma quarterback, Baker Mayfield, an early Heisman candidate, was on fire coming into week five. He led the Sooners to four straight victories, scoring over 30 points in each game. Iowa State needed everything to go correctly against Mayfield in order to have a chance.  After being down 14-3 after the first quarter to a top ranked opponent, the Cyclones didn’t quit. Senior Iowa State quarterback, Kyle Kempt, out-played Mayfield by passing for 343 yards and scoring three touchdowns in a 38-31 win against Oklahoma.

The Cyclones continued their fire the following week at home, blanking the Kansas Jayhawks 45-0. They handled Texas Tech with ease 31-13, and it was now time for the Cyclones to face a top-ranked TCU team back in Jack Trice Stadium in Ames.

Iowa State needed to prove their win over Oklahoma wasn’t a fluke. TCU was ranked #4 in the nation and was undefeated thus far. The Cyclones forced three turnovers for a 14-7 win against the TCU Horned Frogs. Students and fans stormed the field to celebrate after their statement win.

Post game, ISU coach Matt Campbell spoke to his players after a big win about the importance of putting the team before yourself. The video went viral on social media for good reason. “You’re teaching the world that in this sport, college football,  toughness, discipline, and details still matter,” He told his players. “If you fall in love with the process, eventually the process will love you back.”

The Iowa State Cyclones are looking to continue their impressive winning streak Saturday, November 4th, in an away game against West Virginia.