End Zone Divas and That’s What She Set take the win

This past week, girls and boys teams took to the field and the courts to participate in the annual powderpuff tournaments. These tournaments raised money for the Student Hunger Drive by collecting cans from participants and observers. These events in conjunction with the school’s competition between teachers have raised over 30,000 pounds for the Student Hunger Drive.

On Saturday October 21st, six girls teams competed in powderpuff flag football. In the tournament, each of these teams played for the chance of participating in the championship game. “It was a fun opportunity and great to be able to connect with not just my team, but also our competitors,” said, sophomore, Katie Gropel. The championship game was between the Dynamite Dolls, a team of sophomore volleyball players, and The End Zone Divas, a team of seniors. Senior Cami Hunter said, “The tournament was competitive, and my team was motivated because we were playing for a great cause.” The End Zone Divas, coached by Grant Sexton, won the girls powderpuff tournament. “My team was very excited to win because we are seniors and it was our last time getting the chance to play,” Hunter said.

On Monday October 23rd, 11 boys teams played reverse powderpuff volleyball. These players were motivated by both their numerous spectators and the chance to compete in the championship game. As the competition progressed, the final two teams both featured a club volleyball player. It came down to the E-lemon-ators and That’s What She Set, and the victory was ultimately given to That’s What She Set, coached by Brooke Harris. “Our team was somewhat prepared; it was hard to practice with everyone’s sports schedules,” said senior Jackson Fowler. “Winning was great—I was not expecting us to get past the first game, but we did.”

Congratulations to The End Zone Divas, That’s What She Set and all other participants. You can continue to support the Student Hunger Drive events and participate in the school competition to help PV collect 60,000 pounds.