The truth behind astrology

Quique via Pixabay

If you’ve ever picked up a newspaper or checked twitter ever you’re probably familiar with astrology. For those who have been living under a rock, the simplest definition of astrology is using the stars and alignments of the planets to predict different aspects of life here on earth. Astrologists use the constellations and the planets to try and predict personalities, financial success, love lives, and overall well-being as well as many other factors. A majority of this depends on someones zodiac sign. A person’s zodiac sign depends on their birth date, for example if you were born late May of early June you’re considered a Gemini and therefore “should” match all the traits and predictions of that sign based on what horoscopes say. For a many people, specifically 71% of people that understand astrology, this concept that zodiac and horoscope can basically determine your entire life seems like a bunch of bull. However, for quite some time scientists, sociologists, and psychologists have looked into statistic and actual facts to determine whether zodiac has some truth behind it. The answer: kind of.

What these professionals have come to realize is that whether it has to do with astrology or not, there is correlation between your birth date and specific traits about you. Mainly, this has to do based on the season you’re born in. One big example of this is mental illness. Statistics have shown that people with Schizophrenia and bipolar disorder were most likely born in the winter months, specifically in January. In a different study they found people with depression and suicidal thoughts were born in April, May, and June while babies born in November were less likely to have depression. Another startling statistic states that 17 out of 100 serial killers were born in November, compared to the average nine for every other month. Scientists believe that this might have to do with the amount of vitamin D they get as a child. They believe that because they begin developing with a specific amount of vitamin D they are accustomed to this for the rest of their lives. A deficiency or excess of this vitamin may cause certain mental disorders to arise. Astrologist fight this hypothesis, stating that there is little to no proof that this is factual and that, with or without sun, newborns get this vitamin from other sources.

Mental illness isn’t the only correlation found with birth date and individual traits. Typical moods for people can also be determined by birth month. Babies born in spring months are more likely to be happier people than those born in fall months. Those born in summer months are likely to have frequent mood changes. People born during the fall are likely to be more irritable, but overall be very calm. Scientists continue to claim that this is because of protein, vitamin C, and vitamin D, however astrologists continue to use their arguments that all babies are raised the same.

There are many random traits that have shown to be common with people born in the same month. January and February babies are thought to be more creative and imaginative, and are also most likely to become celebrities. The overall consensus is that people born in the same month will definitely have some similar traits. Whether this has to do with astrology or not could possibly be determined by more research and study, so we’ll just have to wait and see.