Truth about avocados

Repic via Pixabay

Avocados are everywhere now. Every health food page on Instagram is filled with avocado toasts and avocado smoothies. The rise of fast-casual Mexican chains such as Chipotle serving guacamole are contributing to the rise in popularity of avocados. Avocados don’t have much flavor; people love avocados for its smooth creamy texture.

The hype for avocados exist. The issue is that health blogs online constantly debate whether avocados are healthy or unhealthy. Avocados naturally have zero grams of sugar; the only carbohydrates that are in an avocado come from the fiber.  They also have very little protein. Thirty grams of avocado contains only one gram of protein. The majority of the calories come from fat, mostly monounsaturated. These kinds of fats, when consumed in moderation, are very heart healthy since they reduce bad cholesterol.

Besides being very low in sugar and having heart healthy fats, Avocados are high in vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin K, Vitamin B, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Potassium, and Magnesium.

Despite these great health benefits, criticism exists on the consumption of avocados. Health blogs constantly argue that since avocados are high in fat content, they are harmful for the body. This argument lacks basis since all the fat in avocados are heart healthy. As long as they are consumed in moderation, half an avocado daily, there will only be positive effects on the body.