Breaking the ice with PV’s ice skating club

It’s no secret Pleasant Valley has a plethora of clubs. One of the newly founded clubs is the ice skating club, started by senior Megan Collins. Collins has been a figure skater for nine years and wanted to start this club in order to teach her friends and like minded people how to skate. However, due to some hiccups with advertising, few people knew about the club at all last year. This did not deter Collins though. Her goal for the club is to “make a club that promotes an interesting way to exercise and is fun at the same time.”

One of the things that makes the ice skating club truly shine is its individuality, even among other sports. It is easy to learn, but hard to master. The ice skating club focuses mostly on free skate, a relaxed form of figure skating which allows the participant to have fun and learning at his/her own pace. This method allows skaters of all skill types and motivations to work together. Some members focus on learning new tricks while others, like Noah Meyer, focus more on the social aspect. “I don’t really have any goals for tricks…..I am mostly here to support my friend.” Competitive skater or newbie looking to learn, this club caters to everyone’s goals.

Lynne Lundberg is the teacher sponsor of Ice Skating Club. She chose to sponsor the club for many reasons, the main one being her love for student driven ideas. While the club was small at first, Lundberg was not discouraged at all. The fact that a group of students had the drive to fulfill their dream of an Ice Skating Club was enough for her.

Collins, Meyer, and Lundberg all heavily agree on one thing: if students are hesitant to join, they’d like them to give it a try. Along with being a good social and physical activity, Lundberg hails it as a “good stress reliever.”