Samsung slams iPhone in new ad

gfkDSGN via Pixabay

Apple and iPhone users are mocked in a commercial for the new Samsung Galaxy 8. The clip is called ‘Growing Up’ and it illustrates the flaws of the iPhone over the last ten years. In this clip, a man receives his first iPhone in 2007 and is hopeful for the future; however, every time he gets a new iPhone, some sort of disappointment shortly follows.

When the man tries to take a picture, “Cannot take photo. There is not enough available storage to take photo,” flashes across the screen. Not having enough storage has been an ongoing struggle for Apple users.

The man is then seen falling into a lake. As a result, his iPhone has severe water damage and he has to throw his iPhone into a bowl of rice. The Samsung Galaxy, however, continues to work perfectly without any water damage because it is waterproof.

The man was able to give his number out faster by using the Samsung stylus pen to write directly on the screen. This convenient method allows for a natural writing and drawing experience. According to Samsung, the S Pen “guarantees accuracy and is battery-free.” With this pen, users can draw their own emojis, make animated GIFS, write handwritten messages on photos, draw with all different colors, take notes without unlocking the phone and annotate on documents.

As the man finally realizes that Samsung is the way to go, he walks past an Apple user standing in line to get an iPhone. The Apple user has a horrible hairline, which is shaped like the iPhone X’s “notch.” Samsung clearly shows that having an iPhone doesn’t live up to the Galaxy 8, and apparently their hairlines don’t either. Needless to say, this was a rough sixty seconds for Apple.

This ad has been very successful. “I was influenced prior to this ad, but the ad was really effective. I am considering leaning towards a Samsing now. I really want that stylus pen to write with,” P.V teacher, Ann Berger, said.

This ad brought forth many valid points for Samsung. Most students wouldn’t consider going down the android path, but there are benefits of having an android over an iPhone.

“The Samsung Galaxy 8 is the most productive phone out there. With an android, you can have multiple apps open at one time. Right now I’m on twitter, texting, and looking at the internet at the same time. With an android phone, you can multitask more efficiently than any other phone. Price alone made me want to go down the android path. No android is going to be near $1,000, which is the price of the new iPhone X,” Senior, Keshav Wagle said.

“One disadvantage of the android is that there is no imessage, since that is only run through Apple devices. An android can still be in group chats, it will just send as text messages instead of iMessages. Most people use groupme now anyways. The benefits of an android outweigh this factor. An android acts as a USB drive. I can move stuff from my phone to my computer instantly by dragging. Whereas with an iPhone, everything has to be done through iTunes, which is a hassle. I have always been an android fan because iPhones are overpriced and overrated,” Senior, Vishwajit Subramanian said.

The Samsung Galaxy 8 commercial threw lots of shade Apple’s way. It seems that Samsung is rounding a turning point, as a company. Apple should definitely get to work on addressing the flaws highlighted in the clip.