Kick-off to a promising NCAA men’s basketball season

This past Tuesday evening top-ranked teams in collegiate men’s basketball competed in a tournament to kick off the season and anticipate future performances in March Madness. The Michigan State vs Duke match up took place first, following with Kansas vs Kentucky. These talented teams are stacked with highly sought after recruits leading to intense competition.

The matchup between Duke and Michigan State showed the talent of multiple players on the court. Grayson Allen scored an outstanding 37 points, a new career high, and carried his team to victory after teammate Marvin Bagley III exited the game due to an eye injury. “I felt like I was kind of hot from 3,” Allen commented. “For me, when I get a few open looks, the basket gets bigger.” Michigan State players, Miles Bridges and Jaren Jackson Jr., made essential shots in the final minutes of the game showing their importance to the dynamics of this team. By the final buzzer, Michigan State had fallen to Duke 81-88.

Kansas and Kentucky’s competitive drive makes for an intense pairing every other year when November rolls around. Neither team played up to the preconceived expectations set upon them, this made for an interesting but messy battle. Kansas’s Devonte’ Graham, Shi Mykhailiuk and Malik Newman held their own despite shooting 14 for 46, while Kentucky players failed when attempting to unite against the experienced Jayhawks. “It’s an all win and no lose game because nobody is going to look at it and say well, you lost to Kentucky or you lost to Duke or Michigan State and have it be a negative, I think what this game does early in the season — if you can stand to watch it, because I know that wasn’t very pretty — I think what this game is it obviously gives you confidence, but it makes you more aware of who you are and I think that’s always good,” said, Kansas coach, Bill Self following the Kansas Jayhawks’ win over Kentucky 65-61.

This tournament paved the way for the upcoming basketball season and gives an early preview of the talent these acclaimed teams have to offer. As Michigan State, Duke, Kentucky and Kansas work to improve their game, fans are eagerly awaiting the chance to see them in action next.