The gift of friendship

Michal Jarmoluk via Pixabay

While family comes from near and far in many households to celebrate all that they are grateful for, local students gather to appreciate cherished relationships with those their age. The idea of hosting “Friendsgiving” is popular among high school students and has become a tradition for many at Pleasant Valley. The idea of using the holiday season to treasure important friendships has gained prominence since the popular television show “Friends” aired Thanksgiving episodes, first displaying the concept in season one and continuing to throughout the rest of the series. Looking to do the same thing, students gather with their friends in addition to family over fall holiday break and look to reflect on the appreciation they have for their closest peers, partaking in a tradition holding a national presence.

Many at PV are excited to share this upcoming holiday with friends and each group celebrating has its own twist on how Friendsgiving is celebrated. Senior Josie Venhorst is one of many in the Pleasant Valley community who enjoys spending this time with her friends.  “Usually during that week, my friends and I get together and bring snacks. A lot of how we spend it is just enjoying eachothers company. We usually watch a movies and play games, and it’s always a lot of fun,” Venhorst says.

Others such as senior Naina Ninan spend the holiday with friends she doesn’t see during the school day. Ninan, who is involved in a bollywood-american dance group, celebrates with a group of girls from many schools throughout the community, all whom she has known for many years. As for her traditions, Ninan says the favorite activities of the group include, “getting together for a giant friendsgiving potluck! After dinner, we usually watch lots of movies and rewatch our old group dances.”

Regardless of the way in which friends choose to share Friendsgiving, all can agree that the holiday season wouldn’t be the same without it. Ninan emphasizes, “This is a great time to celebrate friendship because, more often than not, we don’t really vocalize our appreciation for our loved ones and friends. Both Thanksgiving and Friendsgiving give us the opportunity to do so.”