NFC playoff picture

With the exciting NFL regular season coming to a close, it’s time to look at each team in the NFC’s prospects for the playoffs:

Although the AFC’s Playoff lineup is far from being set, the teams that appear likely to be in the NFC Playoffs have already almost been defined.

Eagles: Despite the loss of star quarterback Carson Wentz, the Eagles are still a formidable force in the NFC, and are a safe bet to finish as the top seed. The Eagles will be aided in this aspect by the fact that if they finish with the same record as the Vikings, they will automatically have a tiebreaker over Minnesota. The last two games of the regular season should serve as a proper test to get Nick Foles comfortable and in control of the offense.

Vikings: Despite the two injured quarterbacks on their roster, the Vikings have found success behind a tough defense and the inspired play of current starting quarterback Case Keenum. The Vikings need to win out and also need the Eagles to lose both of their next two games in order to gain the top seed in the NFC. Although this is unlikely to happen, the Vikings can take solace in the fact that they are guaranteed to have a top-2 seed and a first-round bye for the Playoffs.

Rams: The Los Angeles Rams, as NFC West Champs, find themselves in a good spot entering the final two weeks of the season. Because they are division champions, the Rams can’t be seeded lower than fourth in the Playoffs regardless of what happens during the last two weeks of the season. Whether they are seeded third or fourth depends on a few variables, most notably their performance to end the season as well as the eventual winner of the NFC South. If the Rams win their final two games, they will be the third seed. If they lose one, then the winner of the NFC South comes into question. The Saints and Panthers currently have the ability to finish 12-4, placing them above a potential 11-5 Rams team. If the Falcons win out and finish 11-5, however, they will be seeded over the Rams.

Saints: The Saints, led by Drew Brees and rookies Alvin Kamara and Marshon Lattimore, appear poised to make a deep playoff run. Thanks to a Week 13 win over the Panthers, the Saints have put themselves in the driver’s seat of the NFC South as the season comes to a close. If the Saints win one of their two remaining games, they will win their division and be seeded at least fourth in the NFC. If they lose both, their spot may be taken by one of the

Panthers: The Panthers, led by former MVP Cam Newton, still have the potential to play for an NFC South title and the third seed in the NFC. The Panthers need to win out while having both the Rams and Saints lose a game in order to rise to the third seed. If the Panthers lose both of their remaining games, their Playoff spot may be stolen by another 10-6 team, such as the Lions, Cowboys, or Seahawks.

Falcons: Three NFC South teams in the Playoffs? It’s possible if the Falcons win at least one of their next two games. If the Falcons finish 10-6, their wins against NFC foes such as the Lions, Cowboys, and Seahawks come into play, giving them the sixth seed. The Falcons are playing for more than just a Playoff spot, as they still have the potential to win their division if they win their next two games, resulting in a ceiling of the third seed if the Rams drop one of their remaining games.

Other teams still in the hunt:

Lions: The Lions stand the best chance of the field to sneak into the Playoffs at the expense of an NFC South team. The Lions need to win out and have the Saints finish at 10-6, so that the Lions can trump them with tiebreakers. With two easier games left on the schedule and a streaking Falcons team looking good heading into its critical matchups against the Saints and Panthers, it seems like the Lions may end up sneaking into the Playoffs.

Seahawks: Another team that could capitalize off of NFC South chaos, the Seahawks would need to win out as well as have either the Saints or Panthers lose their remaining games to sneak in. Winning out may be difficult as well, with a looming road games coming up against the Dallas Cowboys.