Rivalry doubleheader

Rivalry+doubleheader

This Friday the Spartan basketball teams will face off against the Bettendorf Bulldogs in their final games before winter break. The highly anticipated rivalry doubleheader will be hosted at Bettendorf High School.

The girls’ game will feature a matchup between two state-ranked teams. In the latest state rankings, the Lady Spartans are 4th in Class 5A while the Lady Bulldogs are ranked 10th. The Spartans are currently standing alone at the top of the MAC with an undefeated record, and the Bulldogs are tied for 2nd place in the conference with one loss.

Last season, the Lady Spartans were victorious both times they competed against the Bulldogs. In the first contest the Spartans came out on top with a three-point win while the second time the teams met up resulted in a dominant 20-point Spartan triumph.

Senior captain of the girls’ basketball team, Rory Donahue, said, “With the rivalry between the teams, there will always be a certainty that both teams will come to play. Rankings, records, and stats no longer matter because each team will play their best basketball game. It’s exciting that both teams are ranked so high in the state because this game will be the most competitive Bettendorf vs. PV basketball game in a long time.”

After the conclusion of the girls’ matchup, the boys’ basketball teams will go head to head. The Spartans are currently ranked 11th in Class 4A and will be facing a Bettendorf team that’s playing without its leading scorer.

Last season the Bulldogs swept the rivalry series winning the first game by nine points and the second by 15. This season the Spartans are seeking redemption against their cross-town opponents.

Senior member of the boys’ basketball team, Caleb Carius, stated, “We’re all super excited to play Bettendorf in the last game before break- it’s a good way to go out for awhile. They’re a good team like every year and it’ll take a lot to beat them, but we’re confident and excited to get after it.”

Head out to Bettendorf High School this Friday in your holiday gear and cheer on the Spartans as they close out the 2017 portion of their season. The girls’ game will tip off at 6 PM with the boys’ matchup beginning immediately after the conclusion of the girls’ contest.