A solid Lady Spartans team takes on a new look

The Pleasant Valley girls’ track and field team started their season off this past Monday. The Spartans have remained a competitive team, clinching the MAC titles since 2015 along with a state championship in 2015. This much success is the result of great coaching, and the Spartans have no shortage of coaches helping the girls become the best they can be. The Spartans will take on a new look this year with new additions to the coaching staff.

Following the end of the season last year, coach Emily Duncan decided not to continue on to the next year due to wanting to spend more time with her daughter. Duncan contributed many things to the team, but mainly worked with the sprinters. Taking over the sprint group will be coach Kaz Johnson, who also helps with high jumping.

Head coaches Kenny and Jane Wheeler have created an outstanding atmosphere, each taking on different parts of the team. Mr. Wheeler places his focus on the hurdle crew and long jumping, while Mrs. Wheeler has found her spot with long distance. Coach Melissa Martinez was the team’s throwing coach last year, but will now be working with a group of mid-distance runners.

Perhaps the newest addition for the girls’ track team will be Coach Jason Vice. Vice, the offensive line coach for varsity football, has previous experience with this role. “He has coached track at our junior high level and teaches there as well, so bringing someone in that members of our team are familiar with is important,” Kenny Wheeler comments. “He will add some great energy to an already great coaching staff.”

Vice is optimistic about his new position for the track team. “I am most excited to have the opportunity to coach in a program that has a great culture and has a tradition of excellence,” said Vice. “I haven’t coached track for 12 years, but I am looking forward to helping all of my athletes perform to the best of their abilities and learn to compete.”

With such a competitive history, the Spartans will strive to be great yet again. “Every team wants to win a state championship, but I think we want to make this year special. We are starting from scratch in a way,” Senior leader Amaria Kirby states. “Our team is sort of young and we want to install confidence and drive in everybody.”

The PVGTF team will be focusing its efforts on being competitive, confident, and having fun. With approximately 110 runners going out for the 2018 season, the coaches have their work cut out for them. These encouraging and understanding coaches will help make reaching those goals seem like no problem.

$480
$1000