This is SpARTa! Meet Audrey McCracken

Art takes shape in many different forms. One of the forms that often goes unrecognized is makeup. While a lot of high school students wear makeup, few take it seriously and treat each look as a piece of art. For senior Audrey McCracken, that is exactly what each of her makeup looks is. For McCracken, doing her makeup is a way to relax, have fun, and express herself. “Makeup just helps me get things off of my mind when I’m stressed out,” said the senior who has enjoyed doing makeup for a big part of her life. “I’ve loved playing around with makeup for years, and i like how makeup can completely transform someone. Not only can it physically alter the way someone looks, but it can change the way they feel. It can make them confident and I love that.”

McCracken has always felt that makeup was not appreciated enough as an art. She felt that although makeup has become more appreciated through social media, it is still underrated as an art form. “Everyone who does art puts their own spin on it and that’s exactly what you can do with makeup. Eyeshadow is like painting, just on a smaller canvas.” She also discussed how underappreciated makeup artists are. “I think makeup artists get paid a decent amount of money, but they’re not normally given the same amount of credit in big events like awards shows where everyone is focused on giving “who they’re wearing” more attention. Artists are always given credit on their paintings, drawings, etc. but makeup artists aren’t always given the same amount of credit for their work.”

Although there are no makeup classes at Pleasant Valley, McCracken still finds ways to involve the new art form into the school. She is doing makeup for proms all across the Quad Cities and spreading her talent around as well. She did junior Abby Meyer’s makeup for her prom and Meyers commented on the level of talent it takes to execute the looks McCracken does. “Her work is so creative and the way she comes up with her own designs and the fact that she is so precise is a talent. I definitely think the way she does makeup is an art.”