Track teams look to continue reign at conference meet

The boy’s and girl’s track programs at Pleasant Valley have always been dominate in the sport, but a place they have owned in particular has been the Mississippi Athletic Conference championships.

The MAC consists of ten teams: Assumption, Bettendorf, Burlington, Clinton, Davenport Central, Davenport North, Davenport West, Muscatine, North Scott and Pleasant Valley. The conference has always been a competitive one in track, making for exciting conference meets.

“MAC is a great way to show off some of our most talented runners,” Clare Basala stated. “We get to improve ourselves while competing with some of the best teams in the state.”

Every race, points are awarded to the members of the teams according to the place they crossed the finish line in. First place is awarded ten points, second receives eight points, third takes six, then fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, and eighth take five, four, three, two and one point respectively. At the end of the meet, the point totals will be added up to find that year’s conference champion.

The boy’s team has won 11 consecutive conference titles and is looking to continue the streak. The throwing team is led by senior Sam Hanna, and the sprint team will look to seniors Arthur Braden and Collin Ankton. Perhaps the strongest part of the boys team comes from the distance team, led by Konnor Sommer.

“We are excited to let some of our underclassmen help out in keeping control of the MAC,” Junior Parker Huhn said. “We are looking for everyone to help in individual events and relays.”

The girl’s track team has won seven of the past eight MAC titles and have a good chance of continuing that success. The girls team has standout sprinter Amaria Kirby that will run in multiple events. Sophomore Clare Basala will add to the success, running the 400 hurdles along with more 400’s. The team came across their secret weapon in freshman Harmony Creasy, who has been a standout in the 100’s, 200’s, and 400’s.

“MAC will be a chance for us to rebound after some performances that we know we can improve on after the Drake Relays,” senior Amaria Kirby commented. “It’s a chance for us to have the team all together for the last time and go out with a bang.”

The boys’ meet will take place at Pleasant Valley this year and the girls’ will be across town at Bettendorf, both on Thursday May 3.