Having a blast at band camp

Photo credit to Shield staff
Several members of the Spartan marching band line up during a Friday night football game. Their performances can be seen during football season under the Spartan Stadium lights

How does one of the largest marching bands in Iowa come together to perfect their halftime shows? The answer is band camp. Band camp is a two-week period near the end of August where the entire Spartan Marching Band gathers at the Spartan Stadium to kick off their season. From 5:30 to 9:00, these musical Spartans learn how to march, read drill and play new music.

Older section leaders, field leaders, and drum majors must help their classmates, new members, and the freshmen during camp. Band camp is the first time that freshmen ever play their instruments while marching to the beat and to a specific spot, which is very different than sitting in a chair and playing. However, many were up to the challenge. First year drum major Anna Myatt stated, “I was extremely impressed by the freshmen and how dedicated they were to improve their marching skills.”

Starting just last year, freshmen were moved to 4th period band, instead of 5th period band with sophomores, juniors and seniors. Because of this, band camp is one of the few opportunities where members across all grades can come together to work on the shows.

At the beginning at the year, the band had five performances in four weeks. Because of this, attendance at band camp was highly necessary. However, camp was not all work. Band camp is the highlight of the summer for many people. It’s a great way to see friends before the school year starts. Each day had a different theme, like white out, Hawaiian day or Spartan spirit. Senior clarinet section leader Kaitlyn Ryan said, “Band camp is the perfect opportunity for members to get to know each other while locking in marching basics so we can make our shows great.”

After two weeks of hard work, band camp finished off with a “Sounds of the Stadium” performance, which was free and open to the public. Junior Amulya Pillutla said, “It is great to end camp with a performance for our friends and family.” The band’s first halftime show of the year is the homecoming game this Friday, September 7th.