This is SpARTa! :Q&A

This is SpARTa! :Q&A

Sydney Lear, a junior on Pleasant Valley Platinum, fully represents what dance is all about. From her hardworking attitude to her amazing technique, she has become a well-known dancer in the Quad Cities. This is Sydney’s second year on Platinum and her second year as a state soloist at the ISDTA solo competition. Sydney has been dancing for 13 years and doesn’t plan on stopping anytime soon.

Q: When did you start dancing?

A: I started dancing when I was 3 years old.

Q: What is your favorite style of dance and why?

A: My favorite style of dance would have to be lyrical because it is such a versatile genre. I find it really cool that as dancers, we’re able to portray either our choreographer’s story or our own emotions through dance.

Q: What motivates you to become a better dancer?

A: I am an extremely self motivated athlete, always pushing myself to give 100% effort and striving to grow as a dancer. I am also very motivated by my instructors.

Q: What is the best part about dancing on Platinum?

A: The best part about dancing on Platinum would have to be the atmosphere. We truly are like one big family and it’s such a blast being a part of such a talented, kind, and hardworking team.

Q: What advice would you give to someone who wants to dance?

A: The advice that I would give to anyone who wants to dance is, go for it. Whether it’s dancing for a competition or just for recreational fun, dance is an art that can be enjoyed by anyone.

Q: Who inspires you to become a better dancer?

A: When it comes to dance, my biggest inspiration are my students and the younger dancers at the studio.

Q: How often do you train?

A: I train for dance almost everyday. Countless hours are spent: being at the studio, taking classes, teaching, rehearsing competition dances, competing, practicing with Platinum, and participating in conventions. In addition, I do additional training to build strength and flexibility.

Q: Do you wish to pursue a career in dance after high school?

A: Yes, I hope to dance on a college team and possibly minor in dance.

Q: How do you balance dance and school?

A: It’s not easy balancing school, Platinum, and studio dance. I’m very dedicated to all three, so time management and planning ahead are very important. It’s also beneficial having a job that is scheduled into my time spent at the studio.