Tune in: PV Orchestra

Tune in: PV Orchestra

Pleasant Valley is known for being committed to excellence, and fine arts is no exception. PVHS orchestra brings the school pride by showcasing one of the many musical arts offered. Since many students participate in band and get seen by hundreds during Friday night football games, orchestra is not always the most well-known. However, size does not determine quality as PV orchestra is home to talented, hardworking musicians. Delanie Evans, freshman, says, “It’s a really fun group of people.”

Orchestra meets during seventh period where they learn and perfect music that can be heard at school concerts as well as performed at various Quad City events. Students can think back to early school days when orchestra musicians of all ages would gather and put on concerts for the elementary schools during assemblies.

The music sound comes from instruments such as the violin, harp, viola, bass, and cello. One of the high school double bass players is senior Sriram Sugumaran. Out of all the music opportunities at PV, he explains his selection because, “I loved the sound of the orchestra and the message the music relays.”

Being involved has helped make the students more well-rounded people. Evans says, “It helps me listen to others around me as well as relax. Having basic music education is something that I use a lot.” Orchestra locker signs can be seen when walking through the halls. It is encouraged to go up to those locker owners and ask about attending upcoming concerts in order to show support for the orchestra while getting to enjoy their music.
For more information visit the orchestra’s website: https://sites.google.com/a/student.pleasval.k12.ia.us/pleasant-valley-orchestra/home/high-school-orchestra