This is spARTa: Meet Haleema Waheed

Though it sometimes goes unnoticed by Pleasant Valley students, many of their peers have outstanding talents, and some of these gifted students are in the art classes offered at the high school. Haleema Waheed is a senior who has been enrolled in the AP Art class for two years. She has been fascinated with art for many years and has become quite talented.

Waheed noted that art has always been an escape for her. She said, “It helps me de-stress and organize my thoughts in a creative manner.” She also likes being able to create things for other people to see the joy it brings them. For years, it has been an outlet that brings happiness to her and those around her.

Inspiration can come in many shapes and forms, especially in the world of art. Waheed found her inspiration from several different sources. She often explores interests online and has even done commission pieces by online order. She has gathered her inspiration from everything around her. She said, “In times when I have an art block though, I mainly get my inspiration from other works of art by my favorite artists or from my favorite shows and movies.”

She is very familiar with pencil and ink, but these are not the only mediums she is talented in. Her digital artwork stands out, and she has even extended herself to painting. Some of her best works have included black and white pieces and some with vibrant color. Her first ever painting was of a koi fish which showcased her natural talent with shape and color. In fact, it turned out well enough to be included in her AP portfolio. She will submit that portfolio at the end of this year.

Waheed has put much time and effort into her artwork, as she is very enthusiastic about pursuing her career by attending an art school. Luckily, Aimee Peters, one of the Valley’s wonderful art teachers, has dedicated her time and energy into helping encourage her students to pursue careers in art. Peters has made sure her students, such as Waheed, are aware that the modern world is full of job opportunities in the art industry. Waheed hopes to study animation with a focus on storyboarding. She said, “storytelling is one of my favorite things to do along with drawing.” Perhaps one day her stories will be featured for all to see.